Chapter 2

SAVANNAH’S POV

                The July weekend I had been dreading came quicker than I could process and I was soon stepping off of the plane in Miami, Florida for boot camp.  I prepared as much as I could but there was always doubt in my mind and the realization that people there will probably be better than me.  There were 120 people that made it through so my chances were very slim.  Tomorrow is the first day and we were told to prepare a song that we would sing as soloists in front of the judges and the other contestants.  Not only the judges are judging me, but I can only imagine the thoughts that will be going through the heads of the other contestants.

                I stepped out of the car the show had provided for me and the driver kindly brought all of my luggage into the lobby of the hotel booked for the show.  I marveled at the beauty of the building that had a futuristic look to it.  “Hello, my name is Lauren and I am one of the people taking care of booking and transportation and all of that fun stuff,” a middle-aged woman in a business suit came up to me with her hand out.

                I kindly took it admiring her bold red hair while responding, “Savannah Marx.”

                “Oh, yes, you are in room 1213 with Jennel,” she said releasing my hand and scrolling through the clipboard I had not seen.  “I am in room 1226 if you have any questions about anything.  Here is your key.  Enjoy, and good luck.”

                “Thank you,” I said taking the key from her hand and looking for an elevator.  I spotted it with a line of people outside with more luggage than me and I frowned.  I clumsily gathered my luggage and started to walk towards the line as a few things fell out of my carry-on bag.  “Great,” I muttered to myself.  Two minutes here and I’m already making an idiot of myself.

                “Here, let me help you with some of that,” a voice said above me.  I looked up and saw a boy that looked about my age in jeans and a graphic tank top kneeling down next to me.  A snap-back was covering his shaggy dark hair and I quickly noticed his brown-grey eyes looking into mine.

                “Thank you, sorry, this is really embarrassing,” I said as we put stuff back into my bag.

                “No worries,” he said throwing the bag over his shoulder with ease.  I stared at his muscular frame in awe.  “I’m Wes, by the way,” he said holding out his hand.

                “Savannah,” I said a little too eagerly and took his hand.  “Nice to meet you.”

                “You too, come on there’s another elevator over here,” Wes said as he lead me in the opposite direction.  “Did you come from LA?  I could’ve sworn I saw you on the flight since there were very few people in first class.”

                “Yeah, actually, sorry I was asleep basically the whole flight.  Early mornings aren’t really my thing,” I admitted.

                He gave me a chuckle and said, “They’re no one’s thing.  What part of California are you from?”  He pressed the ‘up’ button to the elevator.

                “Santa Maria, it’s about 20 minutes out from LA,” I answered.

                “Cool, I live in Huntington Beach with my band,” he said as the elevator doors opened and we stepped in.

                “Oh, you’re in a band?”  I asked.

                “Yeah, with my brother and best friend, we’re called Emblem 3,” he answered as I pressed the ‘12’ button.