16-Kai

I felt a sense of deja vu, sitting cosily on the porch with a glass of scotch in one hand, a cigarette in the other.

Niko was still asleep, but I'd been awake for hours. Only one short hour after we fell into a blissful unconscious state, my brother phoned, alerting me that Maya's water broke and that he would let me knew as soon as we needed to be there. I was extremely excited for them, don't get me wrong, and I would love my nephew with everything I had. That didn't stop my chest from slightly aching, or stop the statement from taking my breath away. Trying to distract myself from the slight pain, I imagined their faces as soon as they realized that they had a baby boy. Keeping true to my word, I never told them the sex, keeping it to myself (I might have told Niko, too.)

Speaking of Niko, I felt his arms wrap around me as I took another drag of my cigarette, leaning into his hard body.

"What could possibly have my fiancée up at this hour, upsetting her enough to have to result in nicotine and whiskey?" He asked softly, kissing my bare shoulder where my robe started slipping off.

"Ajax's baby is on the way. Maya's water broke a few hours ago." I stated, taking another sip and a drag.

Nikolai stilled at my words, taking the glass from my hand and drinking half of what was left. We didn't say anything for a while, simply holding each other, being there. It would get better in a few hours, as soon as the realization kicked in. We accepted that we wouldn't be parents any time soon, but it still stung. Maybe everything would seem better as soon as we met the little boy.

"We'll have our chance again someday, sweetheart. It's going to hurt, but we'll get through everything together. It's a happy day."

"Yeah. I'm excited to meet the little guy, all things considered. You think they know what it is yet?" I asked, stroking his arm that was firmly wrapped around my waist.

"No, Jax would have phoned you already. Have they dropped the baby's furniture off yet?"

"No, not yet. I'll have them drop everything off as soon as the shop opens later. I didn't want to ruin the surprise, they would have known as soon as they saw the design." I explained, smiling softly.

"They are going to love it." He smiled, too, kissing my head. "Since we're out here already, I wanted to ask you something." He said, sounding a bit nervous.

"Sure, what is it?"

"I was wondering, since I started renting my place out already, if you would mind if I brought the dogs here to live with us in a few weeks?"

"Of course! I would love that. Is the yard big enough for all of them, though?" I asked, a bit worried. They were big dogs, after all.

"Oh yes, this is perfect. There might be a few extra maintenance duties regarding the garden, but I'll take care of that." He was obviously very happy that he would have his pets with him, and I was quite excited about it myself. I'd only met them once, but they were gorgeous and very lovable.

We stayed like that for a bit longer, drinking more whiskey and watching the sunrise. It was honestly the best feeling having Nikolai with me, it was nice with Jax and when I was alone, but Niko made it special. Instead of it being my escape, it was just a special place with someone I loved, someone I felt safe with.

"So, are we ready to sober up and get ready to meet the new addition to the family?" I finally asked.

"That we are. You go shower and I'll give Lia a call to have the furniture ready for when you go to your brother's house." He replied, kissing me sweetly.

"Thank you. I'll be ready in about twenty minutes, then I'll make is some coffee and something to eat."

Stealing one last kiss, I showered, got dressed and applied a little makeup in exactly twenty minutes. I put a bit of mousse in my hair, scrunching it a little and letting it air dry. I heard Niko showering in the guest bathroom, moving to the kitchen as fast as I could to avoid temptation. Last night was amazing, but we needed to get to the hospital. I decided on making some avocado toast while I waited for the coffee, breakfast would be quick and easy. Grabbing some cream cheese, mozzarella, paprika and pepper, I made sure that our breakfast wouldn't be dull by any means. Grabbing our coffee, I moved to the breakfast nook just as Niko stepped into the room.