Chapter 16

Stephanie’s P.O.V.

2 months later, it was finally June, which meant school was ending very soon! I didn’t know what I wanted to do this summer, considering I couldn’t go to England (I gave up trying to convince my mum to go). I was just planning on a normal summer, possibly adding a trip to Chicago in there, since we live about 3 hours away. I was excited for sitting around the campfire, singing songs and watching the stars and going to the beach and playing outside in the warm sun. Oh! And sleeping in!

Rachel’s 17th birthday party was amazing and now I can’t wait until I’m 17. It’s not until the summertime, though, so I have a few months, but part of me doesn’t want to wait. Turning 17 just feels like it’s so much older for some reason.

We only had a few more days of school and I had already zoned out, but we still had exams so I couldn’t completely check out. Rachel and I had plans to study together the night before our first day of exams (our exams usually take up 2 school days), but she acted really weird when she demanded that it had to be at my house. I mean, she really insisted that it had to be at my house. This wasn’t the only time she was acting strange; it’s been like that these past few days.

Wednesday came and that meant study night. Rachel went home right after school to deal with something, but then appeared at my house an hour later.

“Hey,” she greeted me as she entered the house.

“Hi,” I answered back, opening the door to let her in. She immediately headed for the stairs and walked to my room, backpack slung over her shoulder.

I followed her upstairs and we entered my room, which was cluttered with so much stuff. The end of the school year was coming up, what was I to do? We set up with what little space my room provided and began studying, the most boring part of the school year. Rachel seemed like she couldn’t sit still; again, weird? I’ve honestly never seen her like this. I put that to the back of my mind and focused on studying. This was going to be a long night.

Rachel’s P.O.V.

A few days before

“Hurry, mom, we gotta go!” I shouted, scrambling to get my things together.

“I’m hurrying, I’m hurrying,” she replied, grabbing the keys on the counter. We raced out the door and  into the van, starting it up and driving away.

Harry’s flight was to be expected to arrive at 12:42pm on Sunday in Chicago. Since the surprise was for Stephanie, we had decided (and it was okay with my mom) that we pick him up from the airport in Chicago and he could stay with us for the week before we would be leaving on Friday night, after our last day of school.

As my mom and I drove down to Chicago, my nerves were on edge. Even though I haven’t met Harry in person, there was this feeling inside of me that was a mix of excitement, nerves, and happiness. I can’t believe we were actually doing this. I just hoped we would be able to keep it a secret from Stephanie.

We reached the airport at around noon and headed inside to find his gate. It took a while to get through security, but before we knew it, we located the gate and waited.

Luckily, we didn’t have to wait too long for his flight came in on time. As the passengers exited the plane, I spotted his dark, curly hair from amongst the mob of people and smiled as he caught my eyesight. He grinned back and ran over to hug me.

“It’s so good to finally meet you in person!” he greeted in his beautiful, English accent.

“I know, I’m so glad you’re here! Steph’s going to go insane!” I responded, letting go of his arms.