Chapter 29

Stephanie’s P.O.V.

“You sure you want to do this?” Harry asked me a few days later.

“Yes. I need to,” I answered, not turning around from packing. 

Eli had called us that morning and said that my father’s doing well and I can finally come visit. Since the message, I was shaking the entire time I gathered my stuff. I don’t know what to say, what to do, even what to think. Harry and Eli were right; there was so much going on that they knew I wasn’t going to be ready. And now that we’re finally going, I felt nauseous, nervous, unprepared. But I needed to do this. If my dad was ready, then I was too.

“I’ll be with you the whole time, love,” Harry assured.

“Thanks,” I replied, shoving the last few things in my bag. 

“Steph, we’re only going to be there for a few hours,” he chuckled, watching me.

“I know. I just don’t exactly know what to bring,” I answered. Harry just shook his head and laughed.

“Eli should be here soon,” he added.

“Okay,” I said. 

“Are you alright? You look a little…”

“I’m fine. Just a bit nervous, that’s all,” I responded.

“I know, I can tell,” he smiled.

A few minutes later, Elijah pulled up in the driveway and we climbed in. Everyone waved as we departed from the house and drove away.

“I heard that Helen told you,” Eli began, breaking the silence.

“Not much,” I replied. 

“Dad’s in the best mood he’s been all week, so that’s a plus,” Eli continued.

“How’s he doing?” Harry asked.

Eli sighed. “Alright, it hasn’t been too bad.”

“That’s good,” Harry commented. Eli gave him a look and Harry understood, unlike me. Was I missing something?

Soon, Elijah drove up to a normal looking house. I wasn’t even sure what to expect, but at least I wasn’t expecting too much. The plants in the front yard could use a little watering, though, but that wasn’t my job. Other than that, the house didn’t look too bad. Eli led us to the front door and entered inside. 

There was a horrendous stench that got to me as soon as we stepped in. What can you expect from a house with only 2 boys living in it? But it wasn’t just a man smell. It was like a mix of a whole bunch of different stinky smells. 

“Honestly, do you clean this place?” I questioned Eli.

“I try,” he shrugged. “Sorry about the smell.” He accompanied us further into the house and we ended up in the kitchen. 

“Dad! I’m home!” Eli shouted. 

“Where the hell were ya?” a voice boomed through the house, causing me to jump. Harry gripped my waist and pulled me close.

“Stay here,” Elijah told us. He stepped into the living room where our dad was sitting and all I could hear were muffled tones.

“I’m scared,” I whispered.

“I haven’t met your dad, but I know a lot, and yes, it’s pretty scary,” Harry mumbled.

“Wait, what? What else do you know?” I asked. But before we could say anything else, Elijah came back.