Chapter 24

Stephanie's P.O.V.

It never ends. Once things finally calm down, something else has to pop up. At this rate, I'm never going to meet my dad. I can't get mad at Harry or Elijah, but I was slightly pissed because they made up this rule. I understand they're trying to protect me, but I can handle myself. I moved to America when I was 8, remember?

Sitting in the waiting room at the hospital for hours was torture. Nobody knew what was happening with Rachel and I was getting agitated. I didn't even want to sit still.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked me.

"Somewhere, anywhere. I can't stay here," I answered, walking away from our group.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Harry called, following after me. "What's wrong? Talk to me."

"It's...nothing," I replied, continuing forward.

"Steph, please," Harry begged, grabbing my arm gently and tugging at me.

"I said it's nothing," I calmly responded. I couldn't even look at him in the eyes. 

"It's definitely not 'nothing'," he pointed out. 

"I don't want to talk about it here," I said, still not meeting his stare.

"Okay, then let's go to the cafeteria and get some food. Now that I think about it, we haven't eaten in a while," Harry suggested, taking my hand and pulling me down the hallway. I didn't resist; just followed him as I knew I wouldn't even be able to get away. 

Reaching the cafeteria was no problem at all, as the smell of sweet food led us there. I claimed a table as Harry ordered some snacks for us. He came back with a giant pretzel and 2 sodas.

"Oh, my God, is that...?" I questioned.

"Yeah. I'm surprised you remember," Harry replied, handing me the drink I haven't had in so many years. I took a sip and I was in heaven.

"Feels just like yesterday I had this," I delivered.

"So, are you finally going to tell me what's bothering you?" Harry asked, sitting down next to me.

I sighed before continuing, "Why does this always happen? After we get settled down from something, another thing just has to pop up."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you and Elijah said I couldn't visit my dad until we're calmed down since so much stuff is happening to me right now. We were totally okay earlier and I thought that was our 'calming down' but no, Rachel has to sprain her ankle!" I vented, almost shouting.

"Okay, okay, quiet down," Harry intervened, ripping off a piece of the pretzel. "She didn't mean to, you know that. No one intentionally means to hurt themselves like that."

"I know, but she could have been more careful," I grunted.

"Steph, she's your best friend! You know her more than anyone and she's a bit of an adventurer. Don't get mad at her, alright?" 

"I'm not mad at her, I'm just...I don't know, frustrated I guess," I revealed.

"Because you can't see your dad for a while?" Harry figured.

"Yeah," I said, sipping my soda angrily. 

Harry sighed. "How about I talk to Elijah and see if we can go sooner. Will that help?" 

"You serious?" I questioned, astonished.

"Yeah. I'm not enjoying the fact that you're sulking around over this and I want you to be happy. When you're happy, I'm happy," Harry explained.