Chapter 33

Harry’s P.O.V.

Two more days until we leave for London. Only 2. Stephanie seemed much better last night after downing about a dozen cookies in one sitting, but yesterday will always be one of the darkest days of our lives. I really hope nothing bad happens in these next few days before London because I definitely don’t want the trip to be a disaster. We’ve been through a lot, lately; we needed this vacation anyways. 

Once everyone was calmed down yesterday, I made a plan to sort out Stephanie’s living situation today. I remember her saying she didn’t want to live in America because she’d miss me too much, but she doesn’t want Anne becoming her legal guardian because that would make us siblings and we’re in a relationship right now, so that would be weird. I wanted to figure all of this out and get it done because she was freaking out about it and I don’t like seeing her like this. So, I called Elijah last night and asked him to come over today. He would be the only one who would know if they had relatives here who could become Stephanie’s legal guardians. It was worth a shot. 

A knock on the cottage door brought all of our attentions to the guest, who opened the door with ease and walked in.

“Eli!” Stephanie screamed and ran into his arms. “What are you doing here?”

“Harry called and asked me to—”

“Ssh!” I scolded. “She doesn’t know!”

Eli’s mouth formed an “o” shape whereas Stephanie’s face turned to confusion.

“What don’t I know? Guys, I thought we agreed not to keep secrets from me anymore!” she shrieked.

“Calm down, babe, you will get to know. I just thought it would be nice if Eli surprised you,” I explained. Her face softened and I relaxed.

“Shall we get down to business then? I don’t have much time,” Elijah suggested.

“Yeah, um, go to the house because my mum’s sitting in on this, too,” I directed. “Come on, Steph.” 

All 3 of us exited the cottage and walked the short distance to the house. Stepping inside, I could still smell the scent of cookies from the kitchen and now I was craving more. They were really good for my idiotic, but lovable, friends.

“Mum?” I called out, wondering where she was. 

“Upstairs, I’ll be down in a few!” she responded, her voice echoing throughout the house.

“Okay!” I replied. 

“Should we just sit in here and wait?” Elijah offered, pointing to the living room.

“Yeah, sure,” I said. Leading us in the room, I settled myself on the couch with Stephanie right next to me and Elijah on the couch opposite me.

“What is this all about?” Steph asked.

“We’re going to find you a home,” I replied, smiling.

“Really?” she exclaimed.

“Mmhmm,” I answered. 

“Wait, it’s not going to be with…with…you know…” she trailed off, looking at Elijah.

“No, no, no, I wouldn’t do that to you,” I chuckled. “Eli’s just here to give information about other relatives you might have throughout the area who would be willing to take you in.”

“Yup,” Elijah confirmed. 

The sound of footsteps told me my mum was coming down the stairs and she appeared in the doorway to the living room just like that.