Chapter 32

Harry’s P.O.V.

Putting the car in park, I unbuckled, threw open the door, and ran around the car. Luckily, I didn’t notice anything unusual about the front bumper and hood, where the cat hit. I hurried over to my Stephanie staring at the car in shock. 

“Steph?” I questioned, approaching her slowly. Her eyes stayed on the car for just a moment longer before locking with mine. They became wide and before I knew it, she was hugging me tightly. I wrapped my arms around her even tighter as the tears poured down my face and I could hear sobs coming from her, too. My breaths slowed down and I rocked her back and forth, relief flooding through my veins. 

We stayed connected for a few moments, neither one of us wanting to let go of the other. Finally, I took a deep breath and loosened up, allowing space to occupy the emptiness between us. I slid my hand down to hers and led her to the car, opening up the passenger side and guiding her inside. Closing the door, I pulled out my phone and nervously called home. My mum was going to be pissed but I can’t drive this thing back home with the airbags still open.

“Hello?” my mum answered.

“Mum, you’re not going to like this, but I need you to take Gemma’s car and come get me,” I delivered, biting my lip.

“Harry? Wait, Gemma’s car? Why? Where are you? Is everything alright?” she rushed.

“I’m fine,” I replied. “I’m on the south side.”

“Why are you over there? And where is my car…?” 

“I need you to stay calm,” I answered.

“Okay, okay, I’m calm,” she breathed.

“There have been some tense issues between some of us and earlier today, Stephanie ran away. She didn’t come back for a while, so I took your car and went throughout the city looking for her and I found her on the south side. As I saw her, there was a cat in the middle of the road and I accidentally hit it, causing the airbags to open and now we can’t get back home,” I explained.

“Oh, my God, Harry, you should have told me something was wrong! I would have gladly gone with you to find her, considering you don’t even have your license yet,” she scolded.

“I know, I know, and I’m sorry. Can you just please come get us?” I pleaded.

“Of course. Just give me a few minutes, I wasn’t expecting this,” my mum said.

“We’re on 5th Street, just so you know,” I informed.

“Alright. Just stay in the car. I’ll be there soon,” she responded.

“Thanks. I love you,” I replied.

“I love you, too,” she answered, and ended the call. 

Turning around, I saw that Stephanie was still in the car and I took a deep breath, walking around to the driver’s side and getting in. We were both silent for a few moments, not sure what exactly to do. And then she spoke.

“Thank you,” I heard her whisper, barely audible.

“You know I will do anything for you,” I responded. 

“I don’t even know what just happened,” she admitted. 

“Wait, are you…?” I asked, concerned.

“No. I’m not drunk or on drugs at all. I don’t know, I just felt like I was in a trance or something,” she confessed. 

“Because of everything that’s been happening?”