Chapter 19: You're brave. But very fucking stupid!

"No, Enoch! Get back!" Yells Emma as Enoch charges blindly at the invisible beast with a pitchfork.

The hollow grabs him with its numerous tongues, lifting him up, flinging away the pitchfork and smashing him against the wall, trying to get him to stop struggling so his eyes can be removed easily. His eyes. My eyes. Those eyes are mine, not this fucking hollow's. The chocolate-brown eyes that he looks at me with. Those are mine. Jake shoots at the hollow with Miss Peregrine's crossbow, but misses every time despite the close range. You can see that he isn't exactly sure how to use it.

"Go! Get to the attic!" I scream at the children, trying to get them to safety.

"Come on! Take her! Go! Go! Get out!" I hear Emma urging the others as I charge up to the hollow. Enoch has stopped struggling and it is about to rip out his eyes when I transform into Bronwyn, pick up the couch and throw it at the hollow. It narrowly misses Enoch and hits the hollow. Enoch drops to the ground as the hollow screams, a horrible, scratchy sound, like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I transform back into Jake. I grab Enoch off of the floor and we and the real Jake run up to the attic, following the other children. The hollow quickly recovers and we hear it get up and run after us. We lock doors behind us and knock stuff down as we run to try and slow down the hollow, but what are a few toys on the floor gonna do to stop a hollow? Trip it? Yeah, totally. What about the doors? With the way it smashed through the wall, a few doors ain't gonna do anything. All we can do is try and hope for the best.

We get upstairs where the other children are sliding out one of the windows onto the roof. We follow, and land on a gutter on the roof of the house.

"Crap, it's almost reset!" Enoch says, worried.

Fiona stands by the ledge, growing a tree branch for us to climb down on. Then the hollow appears in the window. It smashes through it and is now on the roof next to us. We all vigorously climb down the tree, except for Emma and Jake.

A Nazi plane appears in the rainy sky as Emma takes off of her shoes. Jake shoots an arrow at the hollow and manages to somehow hit it in the shoulder, slowing it down. She throws down her shoes and then she floats to the ground, Jake wrapped around her, holding on as his weight won't allow her to fly up into the sky. The Nazi plane drops a bomb on the house; killing the hollow and making the house explode into a fiery mess of debris.

+ + +

Rowing out to the ocean in a little tinny is a bad idea for thirteen people. Even with Emma on a rope, floating above us, having twelve people in a small area is still a struggle. Basically, we are all sitting on each other's' laps, except for Bronwyn and Jake who are rowing the boat.

"Stop here!" Emma hollers from above. Jake then lowers her into the boat, where she puts on her weighted shoes then jumps overboard.

+ + +

I don't know how we did it. But we made a ship from under the ocean float again. No, not a ship. A shipwreck. Either way, as long as it doesn't sink on me, I'll be fine with that. We are going back. To my old loop. The others want to rescue Miss Peregrine and the other ymbrynes. I want to as well, it's just... I'm scared.

The one place that plagues my nightmares, I am going back to. I don't want to. I have lost all of the children there. I have lost everything I had there. Now, I have even lost my ymbryne. I don't even know how the loop is still functional since Miss Avocet hasn't been there in three days. Milliard did explain how the wights can somehow reset the loop using the other ymbrynes that they have captured, but I didn't really understand it.

I go out on the balcony of the ship. I look at the stars. But not even they can give me hope right now. I am going to the place of my nightmares. How can a pretty ball of fire millions of miles away make me feel any better? I just lost my ymbryne and I am going directly to the place I fear. I don't even remember why I found hope in the stars anymore. It concerns me. I feel like with every death, I am losing who I am.

Someone walks out on the balcony with me. Enoch stands beside me, not saying a word, looking at the stars. He then looks at me and wraps me in a hug.

"Hey. It's okay. Nothing's gonna happen. The plan is foolproof." He murmurs into my hair. I love how he didn't ask, 'Are you okay?' but just knew that something was wrong. He knew that I didn't want to go back to my loop. How is beyond me, all that matters is that he knows.

"I'm scared." I whisper.

"I know. But it's okay. I'm scared too." He whispers back.

"You? Scared?" I ask skeptically.

"Everyone's afraid of something..." He says. "And I'm pretty scared shitless of hollows."

"No one would know that after what you did today." I tell him. "Charging at a hollow with a measly pitchfork. That was so brave. And pretty fucking stupid. But we'll just stick with brave. Why did you do it?"

"Because there are more important things than fear." He replies.

"And what's that?"

"Love."

"So you do care about the other children. Way deep down in here." I tease and poke at his heart.

"Yes I do." He admits, almost sheepishly.

Once again, only the stars can see the kiss we share in the moment when time almost stops.

____________________________________________________________

Hello. Are you guys happy? It took me forever to write that. Feel grateful because my ass is numb and I can't feel my legs. Aw well, it's not as if I really use my legs that much, if ya know what I mean. (If ya don't know what I mean, it can basically be summed up in five words. I. Live. On. The. Internet.) So yeah, comment if ya feel like it, any criticism or something to make me laugh is welcome. Thanks, Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

~Tamika