Chapter 17

Kriss:

It was the morning after their "fight".  Georgia hadn't so much as looked at her at supper last night and Kriss wanted to hide away. In the past, avoiding her problems had been her safe haven, but now there was no running away. They were the ones giving her shelter and protection. She could never run away.

On her bed, Kriss was staring at the birds outside the window. They seemed  free. Their wings carried them to the far corners of the earth, gliding across the wind.

This was the life she dreamed of.

In a way, she envied the pretty blue creatures for having what she wanted. Freedom. Even if it had been her decision to stay and fight for the rebels, the decision had been forced upon her. They needed her, she couldn't let them go against America. Since her Selection so many security systems had been modified and they didn't have a clue what was going on up there.

The morning sun glowed against her skin and it's warmth pushed her out of her comforter. Slowly, Kriss dragged herself off the bed like a slug. Step after step, her body directed itself to the kitchen. Walking closer to her bedroom door, she could smell the coffee from a mile away. Her mouth watered thinking about it.

Georgia waved.

"How are you this morning?", she asked.

Had she forgotten about what had happened?

"Im well thank you", said Kriss.

And that had been the end of the conversation.

Breakfast carried on as usual and Kriss ate in covered by silence. The sizzling of scrambled eggs and the brewing of the coffee was all they could hear.

Soon after, the two of them were outside running, jumping and warming up their aching muscles. With much practice ahead, Kriss knew tonight she would lay sound asleep. The training session had been quiet at first, but the two soon forgave the other and carried on.

But all morning, the young woman continuously repeated the same thought over and over in her head.

"You must kill the queen, you must kill the queen". Kriss's biggest responsibility was going to be to kill her, but what if it was also her biggest fear.