Chapter 19

It was 3am and America woke up reaching desperately for air. The breath coming from her lungs burned like a candle and each one caused her immense pain. Each puff of oxygen pumped into her felt like hell! Another nightmare she thought, just a nightmare. Pushing back her matted hair she slipped out of bed and grabbed the nearest glass of water. It had always seemed to help her. She could feel her breath slowing down and a feeling of relief fell on her shoulders. What had caused this terrible thing, this nightmare? Had it been Kriss's disappearance? It had to be she thought. Each day America had felt more and more pressure on her shoulders, and she could feel her lies rising closer and closer to the surface of her kingdom. What would she do if it happened? What if everyone found out about all the terrible things she had done. America grunted back the rest of her emotions and grabbed her nearby robe on her dresser. A walk would help, she thought.

Slippers on her feet, and covered by a baby blue pyjama, and a pink robe, the queen of Illea walked out of her bedroom half asleep. She closed the doors to her bedroom, and saluted the many guards posted nearby her door. Ever since her first killing she had gotten more and more anxious, therefore she had added guards near her bedroom. It had sounded ridiculous, but she had been terrified of being attacked at night by some crazy lunatic with a dagger and being stabbed to death.

As she walked down the dim lit hallway, the queen couldn't stop smiling at the looks she was getting. It had almost been as if the guards had never seen a woman in a pyjama. Some had even whispered as she came by!

America headed for the gardens, or as she called it her little happy place. Ever since her first selection it had always been her safe haven, her blanket of comfort. Her steps were heavy and she felt like a huge thumping troll in the hallways of a kingdom. From where the young girl stood in her halls of the castle, she could see vines of trees from her sight. Finally she murmured to herself. She ran to the closest bench, sat and listened to the sound of nature. To her, she thought it was amazing for her to have this. An entire garden to herself! It was hard to believe at first, but she had gotten used to all "queen perks" as the years passed.

Birds whizzing by before her eyes, cricket singing behind long grass, the breeze flowing  her hair and face felt like a blanket of comfort. How could such a simple thing make her feel so reassured as safe? But what the queen didn't know is that danger would come sooner then she had predicted.