Chapter 3:differences

Barry's POV

Caitlin has been home for over a week now. She seems different. Lately she has gotten very short tempered and she has thrown herself into her work. Whenever I try to talk to her about what is going on she ignores the question, changes the subject, or tells me I'm just being paranoid.

She pretends to be fine but I can tell that something is going on with her. I just wish she would talk to me. We have always been very open and honest with each other, but now she reminds me of when I first met her: closed off, guarded, and sad.

Maybe she is right. Maybe it's just me worrying to much, but every day it's like we are growing apart and I can't stand it. Some days are completely normal. She is happy and she is playful but other days she will be moody and cold.

I heard the front door open and Caitlin call, "Hey, I'm home." She walked in with some bags. "I noticed we needed a few things from the grocery store." She said holding up the bags.

"Thanks, but why didn't you tell me? I would have went with you and helped out. I know how much you hate food shopping." I asked her.

"It was no problem." She said setting the bags on the table.

"Hey, can we talk." I asked seriously.

"Of course." She said. "Should I be worried?"

"No, no, I just- how are you doing?"

"I'm fine, why?" She said casually.

"Well, lately you seem...closed off."

She took a few moments to respond. "I'm fine Barry. I just have a lot going on right now, that's all."

I know what she meant. Her mother was just diagnosed with cancer and she was just in a freak accident, but it seems like so much more.

"You know you can talk to me, right? If you need to talk about anything that is going on-" I began.

"Barry, I said I'm fine." She said snappily.

This is what I mean. Before the accident she would have never said that. She would have given me a hug and told me that she was happy that she had someone to talk to.

"Caitlin, I'm worried about you." I said grabbing her hand.

She pulled her hand out of mine, "well stop."

I was taken aback by this. Why was she being so cold? Why is she shutting me out like this? "What is that supposed to mean?"

She ignored the question and walked away into the bedroom. I took a moment not knowing if I should follow her or not. I decided that something is obviously wrong so I walked into the room.

She was sitting on the bed with her face in her hands and when I walked in she never looked up. She looked stressed out.

I went and sat next to her and wrapped my arm around her. She rested her head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Barry."

"It's ok, I'm not mad." I calmed.

"But why? I continue to snap on you for no reason. Why haven't you left yet?" She said letting a tear escape from her eye.

I lightly pulled her head up so she was looking me in the eye. "I will never leave you. I love you and I will always stand next to you."

"Thank you. That's all I needed to hear." She said hugging me tightly.

I didn't say anything. I kissed the top of her head. I could tell she was happier. She pushed me backwards onto the bed and we both laughed. I grabbed her by her shoulders pulling her back with me.

"You suck." She yelled playfully.

I couldn't help but laugh at her. "You're adorable." I pushed a stray hair out of her face. She rolled onto her side and turned toward me. She ran her fingers through my hair and kissed my cheek.

"We have some groceries to put away." She said, heaving herself up off the bed.

I groaned in discontent and pulled myself off the bed.

The next day
Caitlin's POV

Barry is stuck staying late at work so I decided to do some of the dishes that were left in the sink.
As I was doing one of the final dishes I thought I heard the door open. I turned around but nobody was there.

When I turned back around I was in shock. I turned the water off and took a step backwards. I looked at my hand that had some kind of white mist radiating off of them. Then I looked back at the sink that had completely frozen over.