Helping Him

You went over to Evan the next day during lunch. You could feel several pairs of eyes watching your back, but you didn't care. When you reached him, he was looking more alone than ever and eating a sandwich.

"Hi Evan! Mind if I sit next to you?" You asked him, trying to sound as happy as possible.

He shook his head and scooted over, gesturing for you to sit beside him. You sat down and felt a queasy sensation when your shoulders touched.

"So, how's your day been going?" You asked him. There was no response. You nudged him gently in his side. "Hey. You okay?"

When he turned to look at you, there were tears in his eyes. He shook his head, and you gulped.

"Do you want to talk about it?" You asked him as gently as possible.

At first he shook his head, but then changed his mind and said "Yes." in a quiet voice.

You nodded and said, "Okay. Let's find a quiet place to talk." And with that, you took his arm and led him through the halls of the school to the balcony of the auditorium.

You sat him down and then sat on the head of the seat in front of him. It was uncomfortable, but you dealt with it. "What's up?" You asked him.

"You s-see, I have to w-write these, um, letters to m-myself for t-th-therapy, and-" He went on, telling you how the Murphys found it in their dead son's pocket, and how they invited Evan to dinner and how he had lied to them. Occasionally, he would stop in the middle of his story to wipe his eyes, take a deep breath, and keep going.

Once he was done talking, you didn't know what to say. But you gave him the only thing that you had to offer. A hug. He was a bit caught off guard by it, but he relaxed and let him hug you.

You stopped hugging him, much to your dismay, and looked him straight in the eye. "Look at your cast, Evan." He stopped crying and looked at the lone message on his cast, right next to Connor's name. "Just remember, I'm always here for you. I'll be there no matter what."

You gave him another hug, this one shorter than the previous one. When you let go he said quietly, "Thank you so much, Y/N."

You whacked his arm gently. "Don't mention it." You told him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later you were at Evan's house with his "family friend" Jared.

"Okay guys, l-listen up. We have to make a fake email exchange between m-me and C-Conner to show to the Murphy family. Y/N, you create the account and backdate the emails, w-while Jared and I t-t-type them. Okay?" You nodded and Jared whooped.

Creating an account and backdating the emails was no problem for you. Over the course of your life, you'd made billions of fake email accounts when your parents wouldn't let you do something that you wanted to do. Of course, you had gotten the hang of it, which was obviously bad, but in this situation, maybe it wasn't that evil.

The problem was with Jared and Evan. Jared, which you had come to like, was the comedian of the group. He was funny, but made to much *cough* references in the emails, which made them unrealistic. Evan, on the other hand, had no idea how to talk to a human being in real life, nonetheless in an email.

After having to correct both Jared and Evan more times than you could count, splitting up several fights, and five cups of coffee, the three of you had finally finished. As Evan was walking you guys out, he gave you a friendly hug. "Thanks Y/N, I really appreciated the help."

You smiled at him. "Thanks for asking me to help."

Jared drove you home, and you laid down on your bed, looked at the ceiling, and smiled.

A/N: Thanks for reading!

                                 Toodles!

                                        -J