15: HIDE ME

“Emmm,” Bart said, trying to figure out how to explain what he just had to say, “it’s because..”

He paused and breathed out, “the police are here, they’re asking for Marie and they will come up here in a minute.”

Marie’s grip around my thigh got loosen.

“What do you mean?” I asked and grabbed Marie’s hand. I felt a knot coming up in my stomach, and I felt a bit scared.

“Her mom has notified her as missing, to the police. They know she’s here,” Bart looked down.

Marie didn’t say a thing. She just stared out into space. Nash was, right in the situation, the only one who reacted to this, “we need to hide her then!” He yelled, jumping up from the chair. The other boys got up too.

 “yes! Taylor yelled.

I got up from the chair, keeping my hand in Marie’s. I waited for her to get up too, but she didn’t.

“Get up Marie,” I said.

It took her a few seconds to answer, “what purpose can it possibly serve?” She didn’t even look at me.

I felt the sadness taking over me, but I wouldn’t let the police take her, “please Marie, get up,” I tried to get her up from the chair, “please.”

She then looked at me, “I said, what purpose can it possibly serve?” The look in her eyes seemed to be so far away, “you can’t run from the cobs Cam. I already tried that a lot of times. They’ll find me.”

“Please Marie, try,” I felt tears coming into my eyes. For everything in the whole world, I wouldn’t let the cobs take her home to her mother.

“For what purpose?” She asked again, letting the tone get harder.

“For my love. Marie, I love you!” I yelled feeling the tears, “listen to me.”

The boys stood around us in a circle, and I could feel none of us felt good with this. The way Marie suddenly was, scared us a bit. Or it actually scared me a lot.

“Please…” I whispered, “I love you Marie, I won’t let them take you, I won’t let them take you to your mom. Please, at least try.”

What I just said there, seemed to wake her up a bit and come to herself again. She shook her head a few times and got up from the chair, “hide me!” She yelled.

The boys started running around to find the perfect place to hide her. I just wrapped my arms around her, to make myself calm down a bit. And her too.

“I’m so scared Cam,” she whispered.

“Don’t be,” I whispered feeling the tears running down my cheeks. I wish I could’ve told her I wasn’t scared in the moment, but if I did, I would’ve lied to her. And I would never.

I felt how she wrapped her arms around me, pulling me closer.

It didn’t take long before I heard Gilinsky yell, “here! Hide here!”

Marie let her grip around me go to look in the direction he yelled from.

She then looked at me, “please hide with me,”

I saw the pain in her eyes, that slowly killed me inside.

I nodded and mumbled, “okay.”

She grabbed my hand, and we ran to the place where Jack yelled from.

It was their room, in their bathroom to be more exact, “hide here.” He said, “we’ll do anything for them not to check here. We’ll say Jack is in the shower, okay?” He meant Johnson.