Sister

Bri's P.O.V.

Music playing full blast from my earphones, I slightly danced to the beat of Bobby's rap as I buttered my whole wheat toast.

So distracted, I didn't realise their was anyone behind me so jumped when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Damn!" I exclaimed, pulling my earphones out from my ears.

Standing before me was my sister, Alex. She was dressed up in a cosy attire looking ready to face the day. It was a kind of smart-casual look.

"Alexandra! You know when I have my earphones in it means 'do not disturb'!"

She only rolled her eyes before siting down on the kitchen stool.

"You should learn to wear more clothes," she mentioned as she looked me up and down. I took the tie to take in my appearance. I was wearing black shorts which came up just above my mid-thigh and a white t-shirt which showed my stomach.

"I look fine."

"Hmm. Sure."

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Alex. I'm young. Let me live my youth and show off my body how I like." I took a bite out of my toast. "You going somewhere nice?"

She smiled. "Yeah. Actually I am. I have this interview for a job in New York."

I almost chocked on my breakfast. "New York? As in... America?"

"Yes!" Alex grinned widely.

I poured out a glass of milk for myself. "Great," I muttered.

"I didn't need to dress up really classy. Not today, anyways. He said that he wants to get to know the real me."

I took a sip of my beverage. "So if you get this job, how will you afford the plane ticket to New York?"

"Well the company should pay for it."

I nodded my head, deep in thought. Alex seemed to notice since she released a long sigh.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. It's just... how am I going to afford to keep the roof over my head when you're gone. It's not like I can go with you. I have a life in Busan. This is my home."

"Our second home," Alex corrected.

I frowned. It was true that we were both part western. Our mother is from Korea and our father is from Texas, where we were raised, but at the age of 9 I was taken to live with my grandfather in Busan which I now considered my home. It wasn't that difficult for me to adjust since I spent my summers here and I already new the Korean language fluently.

"Still. What am I going to do without you?"

"Aww, Bri. You'll cope. Maybe you can stay with one of your friends until you get a smaller house of your own?"

I exhaled. "Yeah. Maybe..."

"I'm gonna have to leave now but I'll make sure to be back in a few hours. Did you want me to pick anything up for you while I'm out?"

I shook my head with a small smile before she finally left the building.

Once she was gone I sighed. I didn't know whether to be angry or proud of my sister. My thoughts were interrupted by my phone buzzing so looked to see who it was from. My eyes immediately lit up and a smile was placed on my lips.

Jimin: Come to the studio at 12:00pm tomorrow. Everyone knows you're coming

I bit my lip before replying with a 'sounds great! Can't wait :)'

Jimin answered with a small similar gesture.

Jimin and I go back years. He was the first friend I ever made when moving to Korea but I unfortunately lost contact with him when he moved to Seoul to debut with his group, BTS. I knew he would go far because of his breathtaking voice. I remember him being very shy and insecure. I wonder if he's changed.

...........................

Hours had past and I was currently in the middle of attempting performing a bridge with my body. The door suddenly opened, however, I held the same position.

"Obviously I'd come home to see this," Alex chuckled. I could tell she was beside me when I saw her feet.

"I'm practising," I explained.

"For what? You don't do gymnastics anymore."

I slowly listed myself up into a straightened position as I looked towards my sister. "I shouldn't have given it up really. Maybe I could have done something useful with my skills. But enough about me. How was the interview?"

"Well..."

Alex trailed the sentence along, the anticipation practically killing me.

"I got the job!"

"No way!" I exclaimed with a huge grin on my face as I bounced up and down on the spot. I pulled my sister in for a tight embrace as she hugged me back. "Well done Alex! This is amazing!"

"I know! I was so happy that I felt like kissing the employer!" she laughed ecstatically.

"So when are you leaving?"

She stepped back, frowning slightly. "That's the thing. I'm kind of leaving... tomorrow."

My mouth fell ajar as I looked down at my toes. "Tomorrow...?" I whispered.

"Bri, I'm sorry-"

"No it's fine Alex. Don't worry about me. I'll call some people up and  find a place to stay. In the meantime lets celebrate our last day together."

A smile was brought back onto my sister's face as she wrapped me up in another long hug.

"I'll miss you little sis. You'll be alright, won't you?"

"Come on. I'm 19 years old. I can handle life on my own."

I lied. Even at 19 I have no idea what I'm doing half of the time. I needed my sister.