New York

*1 Year Later*

"SURPRISE!"

Grinning from ear to ear like the Cheshire cat, I stood in front of my sister's house door wrapped up in my warm winter coat and gloves.

"Brianna??"

"Don't look too happy to see me," I giggled.

She immediately pulled me into a huge hug, squeezing me tight.

"What are you doing in New York?? I thought you were in Texas!"

"I was but I decided to surprise you for Christmas! Now are you going to invite me in or what?"

Smiling, Alex moved out of the way which allowed me to enter the building. Her house was really nice.

"Woah," I gasped, looking around the place. "How much is this job paying you?"

"Bri!"

"I'm sorry but this place is real nice sis. I'm almost envious."

She just laughed at me, sitting down on the sofa as I followed her actions.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming? I would have put in more of an effort to look nice."

"Well that's the whole point of a surprise. Duh," I said, allowing a chuckle to escape my lips.

"So how's Texas been treating you?" Alex asked.

"It's really great! I've made loads of new friends where I work. I'm still connected to the choreography company in Seoul since it works globally. I've got a great apartment, the area's nice, the weather's always hot... It's all in all great," I smiled.

"I'm happy for you Bri. But don't you ever miss Korea?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Why would I? Nothing's there for me."

"Nothing's there for you?" My sister let out a scoff. "You have friends there. A past there."

"Yes. A negative past that I've forgotten about," I responded. "And I mean I still video chat with Jimin from time to time when we're both not busy."

"You should visit grandma in Busan some day. I was there a few months ago to see her. She has family, of course, but she still misses her two favourite girls."

I smiled, thinking back to her. My grandfather and grandma took both me and Alex in when our dad died and raised us like their own. After granddad passed my grandma was really sad but she always had us two to rely on. We made her stronger and for that she's always been grateful.

"You're right. I do sometimes miss Busan to be honest. But I've just been really busy lately with dancing."

"Ah, yeah. I know. I heard you're working with Justin Bieber. Never thought he'd be the one to dance."

"Eh. He wanted to try something different," I shrugged absentmindedly.

There was a short pause and it seemed as if Alex was contemplating whether to speak or not.

"So... you haven't been in contact with Suga then?" she asked me.

My expression faltered a little. I haven't though about him in quite a while.

"No," I finally answered. "I left Korea for a reason. To get away from him and the drama that comes with it. Thankfully I'm better off and my life is perfect. I'm happy now."

Alex smiled, nodding her head. I was about to continue speaking when my eyes drifted to the other side of the room.

"Um... Alex...?" I trailed. "What's that?"

Alex turned her head before saying an "oh!". Standing in the room was this little boy with brown hair and green eyes. Alex walked over and picked him up, walking back over to us.

"This is Rueben," she told me. He looked no older than four years old.

"And what's it doing in your house?"

"Firstly, it's he, not it. And secondly, he belongs to a colleague of mine's. I'm babysitting while he's working at the office late. It's no trouble though. We're great buddies. Isn't that right Rueben!"

The boy laughed at my sister's silly faces causing me to smile. He was adorable to be fair.

"There's this Christmas concert tomorrow night. Maybe we could go there," Alex suggested.

I nodded my head in agreement. "Sounds like a plan."

..................................................................

After a long night, the next day rolled over quickly. As I sleepily walked down the stairs, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on my sister and another voice which I didn't recognise.

"I'm sorry," the male voice spoke. "Everything's been so hectic lately."

I moved quietly to get a better look at the scene and finally managed to see my sister and this man with dark brown locks and hazel eyes standing at the door. Rueben was standing next to the man, holding onto his hand. Was that his dad?

"The boss is working you way too hard," Alex continued.

"He's testing me, that's why. I said I wanted the promotion that he's offering and so he's working all those people to the bone to see if we're worth that raise. I don't mind doing it because I need the money but not having any time to spend with my own son? It sucks."

I frowned, suddenly feeling sorry for the man.

"Aww, Joseph. I'll keep Rueben well and safe and make sure to look after him. Okay?"

The man, who I figured was called Joseph, nodded his head and smiled. Looking at the three of them, they looked like a really nice family unit.

"I don't want to be late," he said with a small smile. Alex smiled back before he planted a kiss on her cheek. "Thanks again. For everything."

As she blushed, Joseph bent down to kiss his son goodbye then left the house.

"Well, well, well," I smirked as I strolled into the room. "Who's that Joseph guy then?"

"No one!" she said, a little too quickly for my liking. "Just some guy a work with. Rueben's dad."

I let out a hummed response but let the topic go. She was embarrassed enough as it is.

"Seems like we have an extra guest to add to the concert," Alex smiled, picking Rueben up.

"I guess so."

............................................................

"I'm gonna get us some corndogs. You stay with Rueben."

I nodded my head as she handed me Rueben over into my arms. He was old enough to walk but since it was so busy in central New York we decided it would be safer to carry him most of the time.

"Woah," he gasped. I watched his gaze, it captured on the pretty fairy lights twinkling around this area of the city. "Pretty!"

"I know," I told him, looking around too. "It's beautiful."

"I know this song! Daddy plays it every Christmas Eve when I get to open one present!" Rueben grinned as 'I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas'  began to play. I smiled, closing my eyes and swaying along to the music and holding onto Rueben securely. I was son taken away from my zone when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Yes?" I asked, turning around to see who this mystery person was. Recognising who it was, my eyes went wide in shock and surprise.

"J Hope?"

Hoseok grinned widely.

"Bri!"