16. You Wouldn't Understand

WARNING:This chapter might be pretty long.

--------------------

You hated today, but loved it at the same time. Today was Gabe's birthday, and you always celebrated it. Even though he was gone, he was there in spirit. People thought that it was strange, but you knew that he appreciated it. He was there watching over you. As his only sibling, and being a girl, he would do anything to protect you. Which meant a lot to you.

It was very early, you always woke up early on today. The clock read 5:00 am, you probably the only one up. Quietly you got up and dressed in order to not wake anyone up. Then you tiptoed down to the café, grabbing a little snack before you left.

The ride to the cemetery wasn't far, the new airships were fast. It pained you to see his grave again. The sun just started to rise creating a beautiful mix of color.

"Gabe loved mornings like this." you said to yourself.

You grabbed your little purse / messenger bag and opened it. Inside there were a couple of things you brought for him. You had always brought a gift, even though they had disappeared every time you visited. 'Who would take from someone's grave. That's messed up.'

Tears welled up in your eyes. You hated to be sad, or to cry at all. But sometimes you had to, and when people see you they understand. It was sad to for others too. McCree said Gabe was like a father to him, and he took Genji in after his incident. A lot of people hated your brother, but he had a soft spot for family. You were his only family.

"I brought you some gifts Gabe. First, I got you a picture of the family. We all got back together. Second, I brought you Mcr's new album. They finally got back together after the fall. And I brought you your promise ring. I remember when you had given it to me, you never wanted to lose that thing."

You started to sob. Your cries rang out in the quiet space. The wind blew harsh and cold.

"Oh Gabe. I miss you so much. I wish none of this happened, I loved you so much, and then you died. I never even said goodbye to you..."

You heard the grass crunching from heavy foot steps. Someone came up behind you, but you didn't care. Today meant something to you, and no one would ruin it.

"Leave. Today means something and I don't need to be bothered by irrelevant things." you said sternly.

"I  was only trying to help, but if you want me to leave I can." Of course.

"Go home. Don't you have commander stuff to do right now?" you growled at Soldier 76.

"I came to send condolences. You could use a shoulder to cry on."

"How did you get here? I took the only airship."

"I have my ways. Now, here. Take this." It was your sweater.

"I'm not cold. Now just leave please." you said sort of begging him.

"Okay. I'll leave. But I will see you back at the base."

"Goodbye."

You sighed in relief that he left. Even though he meant everything to you, he just needed to back off for once. He really liked to pry in your business. Which was not okay with you because it just wasn't okay. 

"Gabe, I wish you were here. It would make all of this so, so much easier. You were able to give me advice on life and people and just... everything. Today you would have been 44. You're getting too old on me."

Your cries became louder and louder through the area.

"If you were here, I would feel safe. I would be happy again. But I think we both know that wont happen any time soon. I hope you celebrate up in the sky, take a drink for me brother. You'll see me here again soon probably. So bye for now. I love you."