Sixteen

"No we're not friends, nor have we ever been. We just tried to keep those secrets in our lives.

And if they find out, will it all go wrong?" - Ed Sheeran

Haley's POV

- 20 minutes earlier-

We all sat by the fire, talking when my phone rang. I looked down at my phone and the name that appeared on the display made my heart stop for a second. Evan.

At first I didn't want to take the call but I decided to not be so pathetic and just answer. We were adults. Almost.

"Sorry guys, I need to take that call. It's my mum." I lied and stood up to go inside the house. As I was half way there I accepted the call.

"What do you want Evan?" I asked without saying hello or anything.

"Hello to you too." He said and I snorted.

"What do you want??" I asked and closed the door behind me. I leaned against the kitchen counter, impatiently waiting for the call to finally end even though we hadn't even been talking for a minute

"I want to apologise to you." He said. "I was a total asshole and I know that but you can't just throw away our relationship like that. I have given you time before I called so you could sort things out in your head."

I laughed out loud. He was so ridiculous. "I didn't throw away anything. You did. But hey, don't worry. It's cool. Just fuck around like you want, I'm not sure if I loved you anyway."

Take that, Evan. I felt a wave of confidence coming over me and it felt so fricking good.

"But I love you." Evan said.

"Maybe you should have considered that before you decided to cheat on me with more than one person." I spat. "But anyway, I hope that they got better sex. I hope they didn't have to fake it like I did."

And with these words I hung up on him. I slowly put my phone down on the kitchen counter, sat down on a stool and stared down at my phone.

It took me only a minute of silence to lose it. I hadn't realised how much I still missed him until I had heard his voice. I knew I should just get over him, I should be through with this but it's not that easy to mend a broken heart especially when the only person to mend it is in a relationship with another girl.

I hid my face in my hands and broke down in tears. But I only let myself cry for a couple of seconds, then I wiped away the tears with the sleeves of my sweater. I would not cry, he wasn't worth my tears. Though my heart was beaten down by him I would not let him beat me down.

The backdoor was opened and a blonde haired boy entered the kitchen. I looked up and quickly wiped away the last tear stains from my face as George came closer.

"You cried." He said, not a question but a statement.

"Yeah my mum said my granddad wasn't feeling well." I lied but George shook his head.

"Please don't lie to me. I heard you say Evan at the phone before you went inside." He came even closer and put his hand over mine. "What did he say?"

"He apologised." I looked to the ground because I felt how the tears were welling up in my eyes again. "He said he was sorry for cheating on me."

The tear escaped my eye and fell to the floor. George put his hand under my chin and lifted it up so I would look at him. Then he wiped the tears away.