NINE / when the soldiers just couldn't remember

a blonde man walked with his hoodie up and his jacket over it. he pulled the fabric closer to him. he tucked his hands in his pockets and watched his feet carve out footprints in the freshly fallen snow.

it was a bitter cold night in new york city. every store light was off, leaving only the streetlights to guide his way home. the sidewalk was completely vacant other than a man a block away, who walked toward the blonde.

the blonde looked up at the far-off stranger. the stranger wore just a sweatshirt marked with boxed out letters: BROOKLYN. the blonde chuckled sharply; he grew up in brooklyn.

the stranger had dark hair, tied back with a cap on. the stranger was twenty feet away now. the blonde looked back at his feet, not wanting to loiter any longer. he missed the warmth of the fireplace.

the stranger bumped into the blonde. it was barely a bump, but it felt sturdy and strong. it felt as if the blonde was hit with a battering ram; whatever it was, it was enough to knock the blonde over.

"what the hell, man?" the stranger stopped, not realizing he had bumped the blonde over and into the snow. the stranger reached a hand out.

"i'm sorry; i didn't see you there," the stranger pulled the blonde up with unseen strength. the blonde patted the snow off him. they looked at each other.

"it's alright." the blonde felt a strange tightness in his chest. he felt his throat scratch. something was familiar about this stranger.

"do i know you?" the stranger asked him. the blonde shook his head.

"i don't think so," the blonde mumbled. the blonde furrowed his brow, seemed as if he were going to say something and shook it off. "i should get going. merry christmas."

"merry christmas," the stranger said after the blonde turned and walked away. the stranger stood there, watching the blonde shrink into the distance. the stranger dug his hands into his pockets. the blonde seemed so familiar.

the stranger turned and walked the way the blonde had come from.

for some unknown reason, the stranger kept thinking of newspapers in shoes, a scrawny boy signing up for the service, and the world fair. the stranger shook his head. the eggnog must be getting to him.