FIFTEEN / when blind al died

a/n. i'm aware wade, al, and vanessa aren't part of the avengers' storyline, but i liked this idea. therefore i elaborated. enjoy!

vanessa wrapped her arm around wade's waist, dropping her hand over his hip. he put his arm around her shoulders.

she held the umbrella with her free hand.

the two stared at the gravestone, laying just behind the pile of wet dirt and grass. he let go of her shoulders and covered his eyes with his palms, helping vanessa to realize he was crying.

she faced him now. his hands dropped and dug into his suit pants' pockets.

"i shouldn't be crying," he said, still facing the grave. "she was just an old bitch who let me crash at her place. she was a stoner and a drinker and she tripped on the stupid roomba everyday. she shouldn't mean this much, and i should have visited her more."

"wade, she fell out of her window. you wouldn't have been able to stop that even if you visited seven days a week."

he let out a long breath and turned to her.

"besides, it's better than a long, drawn out death," vanessa added. wade pursed his lips, biting the inside of his cheek.

she had nothing left to say. instead, his face softened. she closed the umbrella and set it aside. she put her arms around him, and he pulled his hands out of his pockets.

he held her back, nestling his face into the crook of her neck. he breathed in her scent and shed his last tears.

the sky's hot showers were letting up by now, allowing fog to rise from the pavement. she pulled away, their arms still entangled.

"let's go home."