THIRTY-THREE / when it was december 16 2017

Buck,

I need you to read this before you flip your lid. As your colleague and friend, and as Tony's colleague and friend, I needed to separate you two today.

As I'm sure you know, it's the 26th anniversary of his parents' deaths. Twenty-six years is a long time, and though scars heal, they are still scars.

I know it wasn't you who killed them. I know it was Winter. We all know that. But you, as Bucky, still remind him of Winter, especially today.

In the meantime, enjoy Chicago. I hear Millennium Park is really nice this time of year. The hotel room is paid for for two nights incase you want to stay that long. I packed warm clothes and shoes and money. There's a phone with my number if you need to contact me.

Let me know what time, after today, you want me to fly over and get you.

Your Friend,
Steve

Bucky set the letter aside.

He pushed the soft hotel sheets off himself. He noticed he was wearing pajamas that he didn't remember putting on.

He stood and went to the bathroom to shower.

Once he was all showered and dressed, he pulled on his boots and tied them. He took the winter coat from his suitcase and pocketed the money and phone.

Bucky took the stairs to the lobby and walked passed the front desk.

He stepped onto the street and used the phone's map to get to the nearest train station. Once there, he bought a day ticket and waited on the platform. An older woman with cloudy eyes and a walking stick sat next to him.

"Excuse me, ma'am; would you happen to know where Millennium Park is?" he asked gently.

"Your stop is Washington Station. Walk three blocks east from there," she said softly. "This is your train. The next is mine." She smiled as the train arrived with a rush of air, smelling vaguely of newspaper and cigarettes. "May you get to where you're going, young man."

"You too, ma'am." He stood and boarded the nearest cabin. Bucky gripped a pole near the exit.

A man with a baby strapped to his chest looked at him and Bucky turned to face the window. Bucky saw the man stand in the window's reflection.

The train stopped and the door slid open as Bucky felt a hand on his shoulder. Before the stranger could say anything, a rush of people boarded and Bucky climbed off.

He headed away from the station and disappeared into a coffee shop. It was surprisingly busy for a small business in a big city. He got into line and acted normal as he looked at the menu.

After scouting the area, and finding no suspicious people, he picked a hot drink and ordered.

He paid and asked for directions, before leaving and following them. Bucky got to the park soon enough, and threw his empty cup away. He stood in front of the giant Christmas tree, decked out in lights and tinsel and ornaments.

He breathed the crisp, cold air in deeply.

When he exhaled, he saw his breath.