Chapter Seven: Warning Signs

"I know what happened." my father said while I gave my mother a sincere look.

"Dad, I'm so sorry," I apoligized.

"Mariam, you promised to do good,"

I nodded my head, "I know dad, go ahead and beat me, I deserve it."

"Beat you? For getting a bad grade in Sociology? I would never honey,"

I was shocked.

In confusion, I turned my head towards my mom as she rolled her eyes at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Your professor called me and told me,"

"Dad, I'm in college, why would my professor call you and tell you?" I asked.

"I made a deal with him, and he'll be calling me every time you get a bad grade,"

"Oh, okay dad. Sorry, I promise I'll try harder."

"Okay, go to your room."

I took a deep breath and sprinted upstairs, feeling relieved.

I was afraid my mom had told my dad about me being out with a man.

As I was pulling out my pajama's, I heard a knock on the door.

I knew it had to be my mother coming to confront me about today.

As I opened the door, she rushed herself in, pushing me away. She slowly closed the door with her back against it, "Who is he?" she grabbed a grip of my hair.

"Mom, mom, stop you're hurting me. He's just a friend," I said out of breath.

"Then why would you lie? You are not even allowed to have guy friends. You're very lucky I didn't tell your father," She threw me onto my bed.

I was out of excuses and decided to keep my mouth shut.

I stood there and watched my mom give me dirty looks.

"From now on, I will be watching you," I nodded my head in agreement.

She walked out as I went to bed.

Well, at least I tried to sleep. I just couldn't stop thinking of what my father would think of me if he found out.

I began to clear my mind and erase unwanted thoughts.

Except for one thing, Zach and his amazing kiss. I was feeling so unpatient to see him at school the next day.

+ +

As the sun rises, my alarm clock rang. It was time to go to school.

I got out of bed and took a hot shower.

As I got dressed and put on my hijab (headscarf), my mother walked in my room without knocking.

"Hey, don't forget what I told you okay. Talk to him, explain to him you cannot speak to him anymore,"

"Okay, okay mom," I grabbed my bag and walked out the room.

I hurried to school.

I noticed there was something buzzing around campus, but what could it be?

I walked down to the courtyard and met with Jasmine.

"Hey Jazzy, whats everyone up to?" I asked.

"Our school's Football team won yesterday's game, tomorrow, they're throwing a victory party. You going?" She asked.

"No, I doubt my parents would ever let me go,"