Chapter Twenty: The Return

"LET ME GO!" Ahmed deliberately bawled.

"SHUT UP!" Jamal vigorously bashed Ahmed across the face.

"Leave me alone," he weeped.

"Sorry kid, but me and your mother have unfinished business,"

Ahmed hastily jumped up and began walloping Jamal, "You don't even know my mom,"

Jamal picked him up and brutally threw him onto a matress, "But I am her brother."

"You're my, my, my uncle?" Ahmed stuttered.

"No, me and your mother might share the same blood, but she is no longer my sister,"

"But what do you want from me?"

Jamal took a needle out of his pocket and haltingly approached Ahmed.

"Your mother," He forcibly grabbed Ahmed and stuck the needle through his neck.

+ +

"WHERE IS MY SON! I WANT MY SON!" Mariam whammed herself and bemoaned profoundly.

"Please, calm down," Nancy patted her back.

"What if he is hurt? What if he is hungry? What if he is dead?" Mariam cried.

"Please honey, don't do this to yourself. Ahmed is fine, he'll be back soon," Nancy tried to repose her.

"What if something happens to him, how can I possibly live without him?" She continued cuffing her face with both of her palms.

"Here, drink some water, you haven't eaten anything all day," Nancy conveyed Mariam a glass of water as she aimed back to the kitchen.

As Mariam reached for the glass, the phone rang.

"Hello?" She briefly rebutted.

"Did you miss me?" Jamal reciprocated as Mariam's eyes opened wide.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Getting revenge,"

"I did nothing to you,"

"Dad and uncle Anes died because of you,"

"That was eight years ago and it wasn't my fault,"

"Meet me at Lincoln Park, five o'clock sharp. Come alone, and if you tell anyone, even Zachary, your son dies." He hung up the phone.

"Honey, honey what's wrong? Who was that?" Her mother came storming in.

"That was, that was Jasmine, she heard about what happened and she wanted to know if everything was okay. Thats all."

Mariam altered her eyes towards the clock to see what time it was.

"Crap, its already four o'clock, Lincoln park is miles away, its traffic hour, I'll never make it,"

"What was that?" Nancy asked.

"Nothing. I'm heading out for fresh air, see you later. I love you." Mariam clutched her coat and car keys then rushed to her car.

+ +

"Oh my god, its four fifty o'clock and I'm still ten miles away." Mariam stepped on the gas pedal and drove seventy mph on a thirty mph street limit.

"I can't be late, I cannot loose my son," she said to herself as she drove faster.

With her left hand on the steering wheel, she grabbed her purse and pulled out a picture of Ahmed from her wallet.

On spur of moment, she ran a stop sign and dashed into a car that was on the right side of the intersection.

Her car curved off the side of the opposite car and began flipping over and over, approximately seven times as it landed upside down.

Another car was speeding as it rear ended Mariam, her car began spinning in circles.

Mariam stood there, covered in blood and surrounded by shattered glass.

All that was on her mind was saving Ahmed, but it was too late.

Several civilians rushed to carry her out of the car as her cell phone rang continuously.

A tall muscular man lifted her body out of the car as her neck tilted back and the picture of Ahmed fell out of her hand and landed in a puddle of blood.

+ +

"Okay, well I guess you don't care about your son," Jamal violently threw his phone across the park as he was steamed.

He hurriedly got in to his car and commuted off to the warehouse that held Ahmed hostage.

"Oh hey, you're awake," Jamal ambled in to the sight of Ahmed tied to a chair.

His lips were dry and white from the lack of water, and his clothes were ripped and dirty.

"Come on, let's go," Jamal reached over to untie the ropes that enslaved Ahmed.

"Where are we going?" Ahmed canvassed with a drowsy voice.

"Today, you're going to meet someone you've always wanted to meet,"

"Who?" Ahmed puzzled.

"Your grandpa.."

+ +

"I know, but she won't listen. She went out for fresh air two hours ago and she still hasn't come back," Nancy said to Manal as they spoke over the phone.

"She'll be back in no time, don't worry," Manal responded.

"Hey Manal, I'll call you back later. I have a call waiting on the other line,"

"Hello?"

"May I speak with Nancy Hassan please,"

"Yes, this is her,"

"Sorry to say this, but your daughter, Mariam..."

Nancy's jaw dropped within every word spoken.

"MARIAM!" She shrilled as the phone slipped out of her fingers.

+ +

"I'm sorry, there are no signs of your son lately. I'll stay on the case and try the best I can," Sheryl explained.

"Sheryl please, you have to find him. Jamal has gone mad and he will do anything to hurt my family," Zachary abjured.

"Zach, get home, get some rest. If anything new comes up, I will call you immediately,"

"Okay, please try harder,"

Sheryl then gradually reached for her walkie talkie.

"Sheryl, Do you copy?"

"Sheryl here, copy"

"I'm going to need you to come down to the morgue, we've got ourselves a B12, case number: 08-2356. Little boy, probably seven or eight years old, was found lying dead by a lake. He was quite brutally burned so we haven't yet identified him,"

"Roger that." Sheryl let out a sigh of frustration as she lifted her head towards Zachary and gave him a sincere look.

"Ahmed." Zach muttered.

___________________________

Next Chapter: Exempt Criminal
___________________________

REMEMBER:

VOTE &
COMMENT

Hope you enjoyed this short sad chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it.