Chapter Fifteen: A Cry For Help

Mariam cleared all her tears as her mom became suspicious.

"Whats wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Mom, I don't know if I can do this."

"If you don't, your father will be held accountable for two murders. Do you want that to happen?" Her mother interrogated as she got closer to Mariam's face.

"But mom.."

"No buts, you're getting married today. I'll call the makeup artist to patch up your dishonorable face."

She selfishly added as Mariam shed a tear.

"Why is this happening to me?" Mariam asked as she jumped out of her chair.

"I can't take it anymore."

She began destroying everything in sight.

Lamps were thrown here and there, products on the vanity were tossed across the room and a bottle of perfume broke the vanity mirror in to pieces.

She began beaming at the mirror, feeling as if she could relate to it, as they were both ruptured.

"Why is this happening to me?" She began repeating as she mourned her heart out on the floor.

Her mother rushed to hug her, "Honey, you're just making it harder on yourself. Get married to Khalil, you'll be happy. Be like all of your cousins, what happened to them? They're happy right?" Her mother began to convince her.

"Please, do this for me, and for Zachary." She importuned.

Mariam looked up at her and began wiping her tears, "Okay, give me a minute please."

Her mother left the room as Mariam remained staring at herself in the broken mirror.

She then heard a double knock on the door.

"I said, give me a.. Oh, I'm sorry. Come in."

The makeup artist walked in as she began scanning her surroundings.

She began fixing her makeup again, making her prettier than she was before.

Khalil, waiting at the end of the aisle, smiled with jubilance and pleasure.

Mariam approached the entrance with her father by her side.

Women began squealing and whistling at this beautiful sight. Everyone was blown away at how astonishing she looked.

Khalil, not believing his own eyes, was astounded. "Wow, she is beautiful." he murmured to himself.

Though Mariam seemed very unpleased as her eyes were watery, guests thought she was just nervous.

She took slow steps down the aisle, approaching Khalil. She looked down, not being able to look him in the eye.

Jasmine, Arwa, and Ahlam were dancing and clapping as they gathered in a circle around her. As the bride and groom began slow dancing, they hurried to the bathroom to check their makeup before taking any pictures.

While they were in the bathroom, they began talking about Mariam, "Poor Mariam, this is her wedding day. She should be happy, instead she is burdened." Arwa says.

"I know right, poor girl, she sacrificed her happiness for Zach and he has no clue. What kind of father would do that? Threatening his own daughter to get married or he'll kill the love of her life." Jasmine added as something unexpected happened.

The bathroom door busted open.

The girls were shocked, noticing someone was eavesdropping.

It was Zach, he overheard what they were saying on his way out of the mens bathroom. "Is that true? If she doesn't get married today, my life is on the line?"