Chapter Twenty Two: Dead or Alive

"Mrs. Amr, I have some bad news for you, you may want to take a seat," the doctor said as he walked out of the operation room.

"Doctor whats wrong with my daughter? Is she okay? Please doctor tell me," she panicked.

"I'm so sorry to have to tell you this, she has a spinal cord injury, which is severe damage to the spinal cord that results in a loss of function such as mobility or feeling. Frequent causes of damage are trauma, a car accident in Mariam's case."

"What do you mean?"

"Right now Mariam is in a coma and there's a big chance she will be paralyzed when she wakes up."

"For how long? Is there anything you can do to fix it?"

"In most cases, this lasts forever."

"Oh my god." Nancy let out a sigh as she fell to the floor and lost consciousness.

+ +

"AHMED, please get up, breathe Ahmed breathe. Please don't close your eyes, your mother needs you," Zachary weeped over Ahmed's body covered in blood.

"Jamal, do you hear that?" Usman sprinted over towards the window covered by plastic bags.

"Police sirens," Jamal looked at Zach.

"You called the police you little shit," Usman slapped Zach.

"Lets go, we don't have much time," Jamal grasped Zachary as Usman walked after them, still pointing his gun at Zach.

"Surrender yourself Jamal, you're surrounded," Sheryl exclaimed into a bullhorn.

They hurriedly ran out the back door as Ahmed lied lonely on the floor.

"Okay, we're coming in," the police stormed into the warehouse.

Archie rushed in with a search squad as he witnessed tracks of blood on the floor.

"ZACHARY! Where are you?" He shrieked.

He quickly shifted his head towards the flight of stairs as he sped off.

He checked the rooms one by one, until he was able to find Ahmed lying helplessly on the floor.

"AHMED! Oh my god, are you okay? How could they do this to you? Those monsters. Don't worry, we're going to get you to a hospital as soon as possible, hang in there buddy," he sobbed as he took his shirt off and pressed it against Ahmed's wound.

"HELP! IN HERE!" He shouted.

"I NEED AN AMBULANCE!"

+ +

"Come on, walk faster, we don't have time to waste," Jamal aforesaid to Zachary as they walked down a path in the woods holding a rope that held Zach captive.

"You know you can't keep this up right?" Zachary smirked.

"My family will be free in the end, and you two will be behind bars, where you belong,"

"SHUT UP!" Jamal turned around and blowed Zachary as his cheeck turned red from the pressure of Jamal's heavy palm against his face.

"You know it's true, there nothing you can do, the bad guys always loose. Didn't Islam teach you that?" Zachary wondered.

"Listen, you and Mariam ruined my life, and both of you will pay the price," Jamal balled his fist.

"Yea, we'll see about that,"

"Jamal, let's stop here and rest," Usman sauntered over towards a creek in the woods.

"Now you be a good boy and stay put," Jamal winked as he tied the rope attached to Zach's hands to a tree.