Chapter Two: Reality

"You're late, but I'll let it slide because it is the first day of school. Everyone get this clear, no one walks in after I do, got that?" The professor asked the class.

"Yes sir," many replied.

It was Zachary.

We're taking the same class.

My heart was pounding as he glared at me.

"Hey, Conner," he greeted the boy sitting in the row in front of me.

"Hey Zach, come sit over here," Conner insisted.

He took the seat and sat a few inches away from me.

Zach then turned his head back and gave me a slight smile.

I ignored him and payed attention to our professor.

"How is everybody doing today?" our African American professor, Mr. Davis, asked the class.

"Well, fine, good, great." The class chanted back.

"My name is Mr. Davis, many of you aren't quite familiar with me, but we'll change that. I hope you enjoy Sociology because it won't be easy.

You see, normally, I love to interact with my pupils before getting down to business. So, what you are going to do today is take a sheet of paper, and state five facts about yourselves. Once you've completed, you can read it out loud. You may begin."

We all picked up our pens and set in motion.

As I began writing, I spotted Zachary staring at me. I quickly looked down at my blank sheet of paper.

A few minutes later, Conner got up to announce he was ready.

As I finished writing my fifth fact, I put my pen down to hear what he had to say.

"Well, as most of you already know, my name is Conner Scott and I'm from Nashville Tennessee. Im twenty years old, majoring in criminal justice, and I am grateful to have been accepted to this amazing University,"

Arwa patted my shoulder and gazed at Zachary, "Hey, you know he's actually kind of cute. Needs a different hair cut but he is definitely handsome," she winked.

"He's alright, I guess. Stop looking and get back to work," I whispered.

"If you say so." she smiled.

"And last but not least, I play basketball when ever I miss my mom, may her soul rest in peace, she was supportive of my dreams. When I play, I can't help but feel as if she is watching over me," Conner implied with a tear rushing down his right cheek.

The class gave Conner a warm round of applause.

"It's okay buddy, everything is going to be okay," Zachary says while giving him a friendly hug.

"I guess its my turn now. Hi, my name is Zachary Spencer. I'm from Seattle California, and I'm twenty years young.
It has always been my dream to receive a basketball scholarship from Duke University and become an all star basketball player. Now that I am attending Duke, those dreams will soon come true. I'm a Christian and I go to church with my parents every sunday. Also, I currently work with my father in his dealership. Thank You," Zachary sat back down after completing.

As the class applauded Zach, I stood up to read my five facts.

"Hello everyone, my name is Mariam Amr. I'm nineteen years old, and I am a proud Muslim. I wish to attend medical school and become a certified doctor. I am the first girl in my whole village to have the privilege of going to college. I am not allowed to have a job, I am to only be a slave to my family." I said sarcastically as the students laughed.