Chapter Twenty One: Exempt Criminal

"Are you sure you can handle this Zachary?" Sheryl jolted.

"Yes, I have to see it to believe it,"

"Well, here you go," She unzipped the body bag off of the burnt body stationed in the morgue.

"Oh my god," Zachary covered his face with his palms in shock.

"Are you okay?"

"Thank you so much god, thank you. It's not him, it's not him," Zach repeated.

"Thats good son, thats good," Sheryl patted his back.

Zachary hurried out to give Mariam a call, "Hello, Mariam? Why aren't you answering? I've called you a dozen times. Please give me a call back as soon as you get this message, I love you."

+ +

"Doctor, please, tell me what's going on? How is my daughter?" Nancy rushed after the doctor as he roamed from one room to another.

"Listen, we're going to get your daughter into surgery as fast as we can. I cannot give you any details for now, please take a seat and pray for her." He perambulated into an operation room then shut the doors.

Nancy languidly took a seat and began sobbing.

"Oh god, I forgot to call Zach," she said to herself as she picked up her phone and hesitated to dial the numbers.

"Hello Nancy, where are you guys? I've been trying to reach Mariam but she wont answer,"

"Son, I'm so sorry," she said sorrowfully.

"What's wrong?" He said as he slammed his brakes.

"It's Mariam..."

"What happened? Is she okay?"

"She got into an accident, it's not good,"

"Which hospital are you in?"

"Duke Regional Hospital,"

"I'm on my way," he stepped on the gas pedal."

+ +

"You're lucky I'm giving you one last chance, your mother screwed up big time." Jamal gored Ahmed into a filthy room glutted with walls covered by graffiti.

"LEAVE US ALONE!" Ahmed bellowed as he decamped up and began hitting Jamal.

Jamal slapped him across the face, leaving a bloody scratch.

"Listen you mischievous child, stay put or I will blow your brains out," he pointed his gun at his head.

"You got that?" He radiated.

Ahmed assaulted him as he slowly walked towards the corner of the room and curled up into a ball.

"I just want my life back, I want my mom and dad back,"

"You stupid little child, that disgusting man isn't your father,"

"You're lying, you're a bad man,"

"Your father was murdered before you were born, did mommy ever tell you that?"

"I don't believe you,"

"Well then you'll just have to ask your mother, if you ever see her again."

Ahmed ambled up again as Jamal slammed the door shut and locked it.

Ahmed began banging on the door as he bawled out loud.

"Allah (God) will get you, you will not get away with this." He sobbed as a tear rolled down his cheek.