17. Sick

When Tyler arrived to english on Tuesday, he noticed that Dallon was sitting alone, due to the fact that Josh wasn't there.

Pulling a pencil out of his backpack, he got up, pretending to sharpen it. Luckily, Brendon was sitting next to the sharpener and Tyler looked over to him. "Pst, hey," Brendon looked up. "Josh isn't here, go sit with Dallon."

"What if he shows up?" Brendon asked.

"Then move," Tyler said in an obvious tone. Brendon flipped him off playfully before picking up his things and moving over to Josh's usual desk. Tyler was done "sharpening" his pencil and went back over to his seat.

Eavesdropping, he listened to Brendon from where he was sitting to the left of Dallon. "...you just seem really cool. I want to get to know you."

"Again... why?" Dallon replied.

"You're cute."

Tyler saw Dallon blush but before he could say anything the bell rang and Mr. Way walked in, obviously very tired.

"Good morning," he greeted in a monotone voice. The class chorused a 'morning' in the same voice.

"Rough night, Mr. Way?" Tyler asked with a smirk.

"Oh, look who actually showed up to class," the class 'oohed' and some kid even yelled 'let the roasting session begin!' "And yeah, kinda. I got into a fight with my bo- girlfriend. My girlfriend...Lindsey."

"Hmm," Tyler nodded. "Does she perhaps have black hair and tattoo sleeves?"

Mr. Way stared at him for a second before cracking a smile. "She just happens to, yes."

"Cool," Tyler smiled back, knowingly.

"This got really weird," Brendon blurted, making Dallon laugh.

"Just like you, Brendon, just like you," Mr. Way laughed. He looked at his student confusedly. "Wait, why're you sitting in Josh's seat?"

"Cause he's not here," Brendon shrugged.

"Does anyone know where he is?" Mr. Way asked, curiously. Nobody spoke up. "Dallon?"

"I don't know, sir," he replied.

"I heard he was suspended for skipping class," someone spoke up.

"I heard he just skipped class again," someone else said.

"I heard he was expelled for smoking weed," another added. Tyler identified that voice as Debby's. He scoffed.

"Well none of that's true," Tyler shook his head. "He's just sick. He skipped class yesterday cause he didn't wanna throw up in front of everybody. Besides it's none of your business."

"Okay, okay," Mr. Way interrupted. "Tell Josh I hope he feels better if you see him. Now let's move on; this is our last week of poetry so Brendon must be happy."

"Ecstatic," he replied making a few kids laugh.

---

Tyler was sitting with Hayley at lunch when Dallon dropped his tray down next to them and frowned. "Where's Josh?" he asked.