27. Welt

The first thing Tyler noticed when Josh appeared on his door step was the giant welt forming underneath his eye.

The second thing he noticed was Patrick clinging onto him, shaking and crying.

The third thing he noticed was that it was almost eight at night and they were standing in the pouring rain.

"Hey," Tyler began, instantly worried. "Come in," he pulled them both in and shut the door.

"Ty–" Josh began, choking on a sob.

"What happened?"

"They found out."

"About?"

"First they found Patrick's presents from his birthday and were already pissed at me about that so they either smashed all his stuff or threw it away, then they found out about Ditch Day and it got worse."

"Oh shit," Tyler gently ran his finger over the bump on Josh's face, pulling away when he winced. "Who did this?"

"My mom," he whispered. "My dad was a lot nicer about it. He just yelled at me."

"Are you okay, Patrick?" Tyler asked the still shaking boy.

"I'm cold, I'm scared, and I don't want to be in that house anymore."

"Trick..." Josh tried.

"At this point I don't care if we get separated," Patrick began crying. "I can't handle them anymore."

"Tyler who's at the– oh!" Kelly came into the living room, carrying a basket of folded laundry. She instantly set it down and hurried over to the two wet, shivering boys. "Honey, what happened?"

"He hit his head on a sink," Tyler told her.

"Then why'd he come here?"

"My parents can't afford to take me to the doctor and you're a nurse so I assumed you could help, but if not we can leave—"

"No, it's alright, honey," Kelly shushed him. "Why'd your bring Patrick?"

"He loves it here so much he wouldn't let me leave without him," Josh forced a laugh, wiping his tears.

"Madison!" Kelly called.

A second later, you could hear a door being opened and Madison came down the stairs. "Yes, Mommy?"

"Patrick's here. Why don't you go take him upstairs and you guys can play?"

"Patrick!" she gasped happily, running down the stairs and hugging him. "Oh, ew. You're wet," she pulled away a scrunched her nose up.

"Sorry," Patrick mumbled.

"That's okay!" Madison perked up. "You can use my Mulan blanket to cover up with if you're cold."

"Okay," Patrick responded glumly, following her upstairs.

"Let's take you to the bathroom to fix you up," Kelly said to Josh, motioning for him to follow her. Tyler saw Josh warily glance at him and he gave him a reassuring smile and walked with him.