Chapter 21

A rush of pain flew through my forehead and when I woke up, I banged my head on the headboard. What a wonderful way to start the morning!

I groaned and pushed away the comforters, I shuffled down the stairs and smelled the most wonderful smell, bacon. Marlene stood at the stove, with a plate of bacon and toast beside her. I grabbed a piece of her bacon and sighed, "So what's our plan?"

She grinned and rubbed her hands together, "I know that Sirius is somewhere around a forest..." I rolled my eyes "Why thank you I had no clue."

She kicked my shin.

"Be serious here Lils, we have to think smartly, and be the smartestest there ever was!" "Smartestest isn't a-" "Oh roll with it!"  I grabbed a map from a nearby atlas, pointing to a small village nearby, "That's the village of Helga Hufflepuff, there's bound to be someone there who will help us, you know willingly." Marlene grinned, "What if they don't?" I raised my eyebrows "Then we leave and thank them for their time?"

She sighed, "No! We go over and-" "Say thank you." She clicked her tongue, "Whatever floats in your boat."

A couple minutes later we were comfortably seated in the car and my mind wandered to James. How could he possibly have left so quickly? Oh well obviously apparition- wait we're underage, how am I only figuring this out now?!

I grabbed Marlene's shoulder, "MARLENE MARLENE MARLENE" "What what what?! I'm trying to figure out this Muggle thing out."
"James is underage." "Yeah obviously- ohhh."

Her eyes widened, she pressed the accelerator and the car sped forward, I shrieked. "Marlene what are you doing?!" Her hands tightened around the wheel, "Getting us somewhere obviously!" I shut my eyes, "Could you do that without killing us?!" She laughed, "Isn't this amazing Lils?!" "UH NO!" The car gathered speed and I could hear the tires gathering sparks as we sped across the road.

Okay okay, we've got this. Marlene sped across the road, laughing maniacally might I add. In minutes, we arrived at the village, it was a cosy town, lights twinkled against the dark skies, and the townsfolk had pleasant grins on their faces as they walked to their homes.

Marlene waved a hand in front of someone, "Excuse me ma'am, could you please help us, we're looking for our friends Sirius Black and James Potter?" Within seconds, all the people's heads turned towards us, their grins darkened, the woman stopped. "How do you know these names?" Marlene frowned, "They're our friends miss." The woman's grin planted itself back on her face, "Oh Peter dearie, I think your friends have finally called!"

Peter Pettigrew stepped out of one of the houses, "Marlene and Lily? What are you doing here?" We sighed in relief, a familiar face thank goodness. "Peter, we need your help, James and Sirius have gone missing." Peter's face morphed into shock, "How is that? Surely it cannot be a coincidence!" With a wave of his hand, he motioned us into the house, shrugging our shoulders we followed him.

He motioned towards the table, gesturing for us to sit down, in a hushed tone he said, "You wouldn't believe this either, but villagers are disappearing as well, when they come back, they're odd, sort of more robot-like and keep more to themselves." Marlene and I exchanged anxious looks, "Well," Marlene remarked, "If we can figure out what's happened to the villagers, surely we'll discover what's become of Sirius and James."

Then there was a crack, and I could hear whispers scattering, getting louder and louder, yet I could not hear anything which was being said. A loud voice rang out behind the front door, "Peter dear, surely it's time you opened that door and let us greet the two young ladies!"

There was visible relief in Peter's expression, "Don't worry, that's Gran, she knows what she's doing." He ran and opened the door, all the villagers stood there with wands raised in prefect formation. Marlene and I stepped backwards and offered a wary grin, then one of the elder men shouted, "Occidere Eos!" Grinning, Marlene spoke up, "Nice to meet you too sir!"

Peter whispered, "What are you doing?! He just said to kill you!" Marlene's eyes went wide, "Well bad day to you!" I grabbed the wand out of my pocket, grabbed Marlene's hand and ran. The crowd took a formation, almost as though they had been expecting us to come and visit (let's be honest they probably had been.) Peter ran behind us, shooting spells at the group behind us.

I turned the corner breathing heavily, "Why would they want to kill us?" Peter shrugged, "I bet they had orders from someone." Then a cry rose out, "Mercy Sire!" And a deep rumbling echoed around like a snake carefully suffocating its prey. Then, it was silent, no sound, no villagers, just a dark shadow rising behind. Peter let out a nervous squeak and I rose my wand.

We could barely see an outline, but I caught a glimpse of a cloak, a sapphire blue one, just like I had seen just a couple days ago, and in his hands, were James and Sirius.