Talking Is Important

"Oh my god, Dan. Put that book down." You roll your eyes, trying to knock the book out of his hands.

He chuckles, keeping the book out of your reach. "No, it's educational."

"No, it's putting unrealistic things in your head, making you very overprotective and paranoid." You argue, jumping on the bed to try and take the book from his hands.

Dan stands up on the bed, holding the book over his head. "I'm already overprotective and very paranoid."

You stand on the bed too, jumping up and down, trying to reach the book, but you're too short. And it makes Dan laugh.

"Come on, Dan. Don't tease the pregnant woman." You whine, crossing your arms.

"Aww... you're so cute when you're flustered." Dan smiles, booping your nose.

"Shut up." You drop to your butt, jumping lightly from the springy bed.

"Aww..." Dan plops down across from you, clutching the book to his chest and you continue to pout. "Just... hear me out?"

You groan, huffing in annoyance. "Fine."

"Alright, thank you." Dan nods. "There's lots of random facts in this book like... the baby can hear everything we're saying."

You try so hard not to roll your eyes. "No it can't."

"Yes it can."

"No."

"Yes."

"Okay, fine. Maybe, if, it can, then it won't even remember, or understand what we're saying." I tell him.

"Okay, fine. Maybe you're right. But maybe I am too."

You smile at him, rolling your eyes and kissing his cheek. "Anything else?"

"Nothing you'd care about." Dan jokes.

"You can tell me any more nerdy baby stuff you want." You tell him, resting your hands on his cheeks.

"No." He smiles. "I'll let you know as time goes on."

"Okay." You rub your thumbs along his cheekbones before kissing his forehead and stepping off the bed.

~~~

You feel Dan's hand rub over your small baby bump that seems to be growing just a little every day.

You and Dan are in bed, you trying to fall asleep, but apparently Dan's got other plans. "Hello, baby." He whispers, his hand still on your stomach.

You slowly open your eyes to see Dan, his face extremely close to your stomach. "I'm Dan... or dad. You can call me dad." He speaks to the baby.

And you can't help but laugh. Dan looks up at you, a small, embarrassed smile on his face. "Sorry," He whispers. "I thought you were sleeping."

You shake your head. "Keep going." You whisper. He's so cute. He actually believes the baby can process what he's saying.

Dan shakes his head, his cheeks a bright red from embarrassment. "No, it's okay." He whispers, laying back on his pillow, wrapping his arms around you, holding you closer.

"Aww, no, keep going. You're so cute." You say, running your hands through his hair.

He chuckles kissing your forehead. "Go back to sleep."

"I never was asleep." You argue, trying to sit up.

"Fine..." Dan sits up too. "Let's go cook a frozen pizza."

"YOU READ MY MIND!"

~~~

The next night, you slept on your side, facing Dan. Yet again, you closed your eyes but couldn't fall asleep.

And yet again, Dan rubbed his hand over your stomach, thinking you were asleep. And you kept your eyes closed, letting him have his own private conversation, though obviously you were listening.

"Hello, baby." Dan whispered. "It's dad... again."

"Or daddy, or father, or o'great one. Whatever you wanna call me." He joked, continuing to lightly stroke your stomach.

"Well, my names Dan, but to you I'd be dad. And... that's your mom. Y/N, but to you she's mom, or mommy, or birth giver." Dan pauses, taking a deep breath.

"I'm going to be honest with you, baby... And i'm going to call you baby because that's what you are, and we don't have any names picked out. Sorry, about that...

Anyways, being honest here, I'm kinda nervous to become a father. Y/N- I mean mom, is too but once you're here, she'll learn what she has to do and have it down pacted.

She knows how to adjust to things like that, even if she doesn't realize it. Even if it scares her. She will because she has to. She's strong... Really strong. Sure, she has her weak moments... but doesn't everyone?"

Dan pauses again, kissing my hand. "I don't know what I'll be like or what I'll do when you get here. What i'm going to try my best... I promise.

Okay? I promise."

You smile softly. You're kinda scared that he's kinda scared, but he's right. You know what to do when it's right in front of you. I don't know about Dan... but he'll get it.

We all will.

"Okay." Dan chuckles. "You can open your eyes now, Y/N."

"Damnit." You open your eyes, looking at him right away. "How'd you know?"

"Because you don't smile in your sleep like that." He states, a smile on his face as he brings his face closer to yours before softly kissing your forehead.

You smooth his hair off his forehead with your trembling fingers. "Oh, Dan. I love you."

"I love you too." Dan looks down your stomach again, giving it a quick kiss. "Love you too, baby."

Love you too, baby.

And Dan talked to the baby every night after that.