Chapter 11: Bitter Cold Coffee

North parked the car at a nearby public parking lot that wasn't far from the pier. The pier was connected to a public park that stretched halfway along the Hudson river. Jack followed North out of the car as they walked to the crosswalk. The sound of taxi cabs and other cars honking at each other, people yelling, laughing, and talking, echoed throughout the lower West side.

It was a charming weekend night for families and friends to spent time together. The late fall air was crispy and tasted delightful. Patches of leaves danced around the sidewalks and some fluttered against the incoming ocean breeze.

"So why are we here?" Jack asked curiously. "I thought it would be nice to spend some time with you. I haven't lately since I worked at the toy store" North confessed.

"Oh, that's alright da-" Jack stopped talking for a moment. "I mean. Don't feel bad. You're just doing your job. And I guess I was doing mine." Jack chuckled happily.

"Quite so" North patted Jack on the back. "Come on. Let me treat to you to some hot cocoa or something." He put his hand on Jack's shoulder like a proud father spending some quality time with his son.

North decided to buy two cups of coffee and two pastries. North indulged himself to an apple and cinnamon danish, while Jack began munching on a peppermint chocolate brownie. He hardly ate anything, cause his friends gobbled up all the krumkakes at their little party.

"Now tell. Who was that fair young lady friend of yours?" North asked Jack. Jack blushed and nearly choked on his brownie. "Um we only known each other for a couple of months. I think we're still acquaintances." Jack confessed. "Same goes for her sister Anna and Kristoff. Dunno if I'm actually their friend, yet." Jack was unsure of himself.

"Ah I see. But they seem to be good friends, Jack. Bunny and Sandy told me how happy they acted around you." North informed him. "Time doesn't measure friendship. Love does."

Jack looked at his old jolly friend. His sense of philosophy was filled with wonders that Jack can't forget. Even though, he only knew the sisters and Kristoff for a few months, they were kind-hearted people that opened their arms for him. Jack can't find people like them or even to replaced. Even getting to know more about Olaf and Marshmallow was one of Jack's idea. But, something special was wildly buzzing around his mind. When will he get the chance to hang out with Elsa?

North looked at Jack who had a big joyful smile on his face. And, his eyes was filled with wonders like his. He hated to break this timeless image of Jack in his mind. But, Mani has given him orders. And an order is an order.

"Jack. Mani sent us a message. He informed us about what's going on." North said nothing more. "Really?! What did he say?" Jack asked in excitement. It was a long time since he heard from Mani. North went on telling Jack on how the kidnapping of Guardians was getting worst. Mani had to sent out his messengers to take over some of the Guardians' jobs. Especially those who was kidnapped and those who went on hiding. Mani didn't want anything geting worst.

"Wait so all this time, Tooth and Sandy hasn't been doing their Guardian jobs?" Jack asked North with great concern. "It's just too dangerous for them go out at night." North said calmly.

"Even though, they're capable of doing their jobs. I feel less worried if they had at least some friends to watch over them. But, I respect Mani's decision." Jack stared out at the river with a serious expression on his face. North was quite astounded at Jack's remark. He never knew the boy could spoke like an adult.

"So are we going to be replaced too? Is Leo and his cool cats going to take care of the Winter solstice and Christmas?" Jack chuckled. A smiled formed around North's face. Even though, the lad is growing, well mentally, he still acted like his former self. A fun goofy kid.