Chapter Ninety-Three: Just Another Day At Chopper Base

AHSOKA TANO

Ahsoka had held hopes that she would be able to get the coordinates to Kanan and Ezra and leave immediately. But as soon as she had landed at Chopper Base, she had realized that would be impossible.

There was an inspection of the base she had to complete and submit to Rebel Command, she had to do a sweep of their communications array to make sure it fit her safety specifications, and Commander Sato wanted to know what the status was with the triple shipment of sensor beacons he ordered – and oh, did she know about the giant spider-like creatures that prowled just beyond the sensor lines? They ate a pilot the other day and very nearly got the Ghost crew, too.

Despite her concerns about the mission, right now, Ahsoka wanted nothing more than to leave. She liked missions with Ezra and Kanan because they were often Jedi business, so she would only have to worry about one thing at a time – or if not that, then one large thing and several smaller ones. It was a nice change considering the alternative was having a dozen pressing issues all fighting for space in her head.

Occasionally, during a quiet moment, she would be able to wave to someone she knew, or catch a flash of Hera's lekku as she hurried this way or that to attend to one of her duties. She had even seen Rex a few times – or rather he had seen her – but it hadn't been the most opportune moment, so now that she had some free time, she was trying to track him down.

She found him by the rudimentary holotable at the center of the fledgeling base, studying the topographical information of the surrounding area that the sensors were supplying the base in a near constant stream.

"Hello, Rex," she greeted him with a gentle smile that belied how nervous she actually was. If he had guessed... "How've you been?"

"Well, they've certainly been keeping me busy. But it's what I came here to do, so I guess it's a good thing." His face wore a smile as well, but his amber-brown eyes seemed almost concerned. "What about you, and Lux and the little ones?"

"We're all fine, thank you. There was that scare a few weeks back with those Inquisitors and..." Ahsoka exhaled a breath, crossing her arms, and it was a moment before she summoned the courage to speak. "And Janira, but we're holding up."

"That's good. It's not fair that the kids have to deal with all that when they're still just that – kids. Your eldest is what, ten now? Eleven?" Rex shook his head. "You were fourteen when you joined the 501st, and I thought that was too young."

Ahsoka nodded in agreement, but, perturbed by the direction the subject was heading in, she asked him another question: "Have you seen Kanan or Ezra around? We need to make ready to leave, and the sooner I find them, the better."

"I don't know about Kanan, but last I checked, Ezra was along the western front." Rex caught his military jargon, and corrected himself, saying, "Well, the western line of the fence of sensor markers. He should still be there."

A silence stretched out between them, and as the seconds ticked by, Ahsoka could sense the conflict within her old friend growing more and more pronounced. She knew what he had seen her doing earlier – that innocent but not entirely subtle gesture that had the potential to give everything away – and that he wanted to know what it had meant. But at the same time, he was not one to pry unless it was absolutely necessary; he didn't want to disturb her by asking

Curiosity won out, and he began, "Ahsoka, I–"

"It was nothing," she interrupted quickly, sensing immediately what he had been about to say. She studied him for a moment, and put a harder edge behind her voice to give it a ring of command. "You didn't see anything earlier; I'm perfectly fine. Just do what I tell you and everything will be okay – I promise."