Part 6

Part 6

“Wow…” Speaking to myself in a busy street might seem a little weird, but I couldn’t stop myself as I looked around at my surroundings. It was as if nothing had happened at all. Every nook and cranny of the place was as how I remembered it; even the layout of the street.

“Hi miss, you look lost. Do you need any help?” A friendly soul stopped me, and I beamed at him. Everyone here was so friendly despite everything that they’d gone through. It was really a wonder to see how everyone has picked themselves up after the fiasco with Sanctus and the Order.

“Um, I’m looking for Nero. Do you know where he stays?” I asked politely, and the friendly soul breaks out into a bigger smile than before, as if extremely glad that I was looking for the main character of DMC4. Not that he would have known about it.

“You are a friend of Nero’s? Of course everyone knows where he stays! That nice boy has helped Fortuna so much that none of us know how to thank him enough!” He replied happily, beginning to lead the way –presumably to Nero’s place.

Exchanging friendly talk with the friendly citizen of Fortuna as we walked along, I found out that after the entire fiasco with the Savior, Nero had coordinated the recovery effort and worked tirelessly day and night to rid the city of demons. With Kyrie’s and the citizens’ help, they had eventually built their city back to what it once was. Nero remained as the city’s very own demon-hunter, earning a stable income from the demons who dared to entire Fortuna and challenge Nero’s authority.

Perhaps this was the reason why Trish didn’t want to escort me straight to Nero’s place. I guessed none of the demon-hunters wanted to see each other –in case they got into arguments of each other stealing the other’s job. From what I cajoled from my friendly guide, neither Dante nor Lady had been seen around here before, and definitely no one saw Vergil.

We reached an apartment building with a surprising amount of flowers at the lobby door. There were a few signs and boards hung over the bell of one of the numbers, and there was no asking who stayed in that particular apartment, because literally every board was professing love towards a certain Nero.

“I guess I don’t have to tell you which apartment.” The friendly man shrugged with a small smile at the bursting postbox of Nero’s apartment. “This is where I leave you. I trust you can go up by yourself?”

I nodded. “Thank you very much. I can make it up by myself.”

With that, the man walked away, and I approached the exploding postbox and the bell. Even though it might be more polite for me to ring the bell, I found that I couldn’t find any, for they were covered entirely by the boards. When I tried to push them away, I saw only a hole where the bell was supposed to be.

So I shrugged to myself and trudged up the stairs.

Frankly, I wasn’t sure why I was here exactly. But it went something along the lines of me trying to get a look and conversation with all the Devil May Cry characters that I was so crazy about. There was no way for me to go to Hell and talk to Sparda now, so I would have to deal with his sons… and Nero. Right now, I still am not 100% sure what Nero has to do with the entire Devil May Cry thing, but I guessed that was probably something I would have to ask Azazel the next time I saw that damned angel.

IF I saw that damned angel ever again. After that day that I walked out them arguing, I had not seen a single inkling of Azazel. I gather that the argument didn’t end well, because whenever Vergil saw me from then on, he gave me the glare and infected me with the ‘get-away-from-me’ aura. I figured it was better to give the volatile man a wide berth whenever I saw him –which was pretty often since I visited Devil May Cry every day to annoy the hell out of Dante just for the fun of it.