Past 17

Part 17

“Get a room.” Dante grumbled as he slammed the door open, sluggishly forcing his body across the room as if it took all of him to move. “Unless you want to invite me to a three-way.”

“That is unnecessary, and I wouldn’t want to degrade Leah in such a manner.” Vergil pronounced, and I giggled a little at the implied connotation as I cuddled against him. I had moved back to Trish’s place and reclaimed my usual life quickly –except for the fact that Vergil was officially my lover.

Sometimes, I really needed to slap myself to remind myself that the gorgeous, marvelous and awesome man was all mine. I know I sound super territorial, but Vergil is totally worth being territorial over.

“Yeah, I’m sure she wouldn’t want to have you after she’s had me.” Dante challenged, though he was already settling down on the chair, ready to fall back to sleep.

“The problem, Dante, is that you cannot even get her to your bed. I have succeeded where you have failed, and you will do well to remember that she is mine.” Vergil reminded, and I hid a secret smile. Seems like I wasn’t the only territorial one in our relationship.

The front door slams open before any reply could be made, and a gunshot rings aloud in the entire office. By now, I am too used to such sudden happenings to even scream. I watch calmly as Dante jerks awake with explosive curses, picking the bullet from his bleeding forehead while a second click sounds.

“You’re late.” Vergil greets, and I suddenly got the feeling that perhaps I wasn’t the only one he asked to come to the office. What a waste. I was totally thinking of the things we could do while I spent my day off…

“Had to deal with a shitload of government administration. Doesn’t help that Dante’s being a lazy ass here.” Lady grumbled as she unbuckled Kalina Ann from her back, resting it at the side before she wandered over where Vergil and I were, completely ignoring Dante’s swears. “So what’s up?”

Vergil gives an inkling of a frown, but I see that it doesn’t really bother him as he gestures for her to take a seat. “You’re not the only one who is late. Trish isn’t here yet.”

My eyes widened in surprise as I turned to him after exchanging quick greetings with Lady.

“You asked Trish here? She didn’t tell me.”

Vergil looked down at me with an apologetic look, which I would never have expected from him –except for the fact that he was my lover now.

“I didn’t think about but I heard this morning of the problems she was recently going through. I decided it would be the best if we included her in the next task.” He explained, and though he was being vague about what ‘task’ he planned for everyone, it was obvious that he was sorry for not telling me beforehand.

“What exactly is today’s gathering about? If it’s for me to witness how the two of you are cuddling up each other, I’d rather pass.” Lady asked, but Vergil gave her the sharp stare.

“You are aware of the recent amount of restrictions put in place particularly for people of our profession. We now have to register every firearm that we purchase, get licenses for every weapon we own, and remove every ‘weapon of magical trace’. Every mission we take up must be screened, and we must submit reports. This red tape and bureaucracy is no place for a dirty industry like ours.” Vergil started, and both Lady and I nodded. Dante tried to pretend not to be interested, but I knew better by the way he was adamantly looking away while it was obvious that he was training his hearing on his twin’s content.

“I figured that out when I picked up the newspaper a week ago.” Lady replied with a sigh, still not getting what Vergil was trying to approach.