Part 14

Part 14

In the time it took me to finally return to myself, I was too tired, too hurt to care.

It isn’t the physical pain that wore me down. It is the mental pain. Every fiber of me snapped with pain, every thought accompanied with unspeakable pain. The throbbing of my mind was so loud, so unspeakably deafening that I didn’t even know what to do. Someone was screaming inside me.

Kill. Kill. Hate. Revenge. Anger. Kill. Kill.

The screaming never stopped, and kept on repeating itself. Every word that screamed inside me brought a new explosion of pain, and my mind struggled endlessly to follow and cope. The pain was so intense in my mind that I wasn’t sure if I could feel my body anymore.

A sharp sting on my cheek proved me wrong, and I blinked my blurry vision away to familiar surroundings. By now, everything had become pretty much familiar to me. I remembered every inch of this room, especially the sight of sun shining through the window, at me. I remembered every scratch on the window sill, every dust particle that settled there. It was my mind’s way of trying to forget the pain…

But it wasn’t working.

A familiar face grinned at me, but I didn’t try to place a name to that face. There is no point. It is just a name, just a face.

I am quite surprised, woman. I hear his voice as it slices through the repeated screaming in my head. At his attempt at contact, I instinctively try to bring him closer to my mind, to let him feel and share my pain. But he escapes quickly from my mental grasp, staying well far away while lurking in the corners of my mind.

I thought you had a spirit hard to break. But it seems like I needed to do nothing at all. Lily is breaking you from the inside. She really is a vicious demon.

He ventured into my mind again, voice piercing through me again. I clutched desperately for him, for his words that gave me the briefest of relief of the screaming in my head, but he escaped my grab again. In my head, laughter reverberated with the screaming.

Soon. Soon Lily will break free. And by then, you will be so weak that Lily cannot do a thing with your body. I will enslave you, and with you, Sparda’s spirit will be broken. Oh, how satisfied will Mundus be when he finds out that I have tamed you!

I understood he still believed that Lily was somehow within me. I understood that this Lily was the woman screaming inside of me. Where I would have been afraid of ‘letting go’ this Lily, I didn’t care now. I just wanted it to stop. So what if I let Lily out? I just wanted to feel painless.

Just a little while more, Woman. When Lily breaks free, then you will feel nothing. You will cease to exist.

Some part of me was afraid about the ‘cease to exist’ part, but the other –louder –part screamed in joy. I would feel nothing if Lily broke free.

I must say, you are a good tool, though. I hear Vergil’s been losing control of his demon because of you. You must be special to him.

Vergil? That name briefly cut through the screaming, and for a moment, the demon Lily was quiet. I cried out at the sudden relief, clutching on to that name in hopes that it would keep Lily silent.

There was a long pause of heavenly silence, as I reveled in every second of it, trying my best to scrape back whatever understanding I could still piece back in my mind.

“You must be really special, then.” I heard the man’s voice again, but this time I wasn’t in my mind. “The thought of Vergil calms Lily down. This is surprising.”