Part 16

Part 16

Back in my world, I’d played around with this thing they call love.

When I was sixth grade, still a small young flower, a boy named Nathan with cute freckles dotting his cheeks and nose shyly asked me if I would be his girlfriend. I thought he was awfully brave, because at that time in life, no one really dared to ask anyone to be their boy/girlfriend.

So we were the school couple –the only tiny couple in elementary school. Parents thought we were being childish, and some teachers thought we were cute. We insisted that we sit together in classes, and we held hands. Our versions of kisses were innocent pecks on cheeks, either in saying hello to each other at the beginning of the day, or goodbye pecks at the end of the day.

Fast forward to eight grade, and boys began to answer to their rising hormones. More guys asked me out, but Nathan, my proud ‘boyfriend-for-two-years’ tried to scare them away. He eventually got ganged up on and bullied, and his mother came to my mother and demanded that I be his ‘girlfriend’ no more. My mother thought his mother was a bitch, and told me that I was better off without him and his nosy, bitchy mother. So that was the end of my first innocent relationship.

Afterwards, I acquainted myself with a few more boyfriends, loving each one more than the last. My parents trusted me to find my one true love, so they didn’t interfere as long as I didn’t give up my virginity to the wrong guy. I truly loved my boyfriends and thought every one of them were ‘the one’. I even went so far as to almost giving up my virginity to Collins.

But we broke up because of trust issues. He didn’t trust that I was going to stay faithful to him –considering the amount of proposals and ‘first dates’ that many other guys tried to take me on. I didn’t trust him to stay faithful to me –considering his raging desire to have sex, and my flat refusal to him, ending him up somehow satiated.

It is easy to say that my love life isn’t a successful canvas that I can brag about. Many of my boyfriends wanted me for the fame. Many of them wanted to feel good at having achieved me –the woman whom many hungered after. I loved them all, but none of them truly loved me for who I was. They loved who they thought I was, but they never got beneath the surface of Leah Katherine Cartlier, and saw an insecure woman who desperately wanted someone who could see the desperate bitch inside.

But this.

This is the first time anyone has seen anything past a pretty face and hot body. This is the first time someone has seen the crying bitch inside, and not shrank away from her neediness. This is the first time anyone as attempted to hug me –the true me –and make her feel loved.

This is the first time someone has loved me enough to try to keep me safe –by not loving me.

I know; it sounds complicated.

But what could possibly be in Vergil’s life that isn’t complicated?

A thousand thoughts swam through my mind as I sat on the couch downstairs, facing my best friend, Dante and Lady. Beside me is Vergil. And his arm is snaked around my shoulders, pulling me in close. This is the first time I’ve seen him make any territorial move on me, and I quivered just thinking about it. This is Vergil Sparda.

Vergil, who I used to think hated me like his life depended on it. Vergil, who I used to think wanted nothing more than to get rid of me from the surface of this world. Vergil, who I used to think hoped me dead and far away from his brother.

Dante must have blacked out for a moment there, because his face is still stuck in the disbelief stage, while the ladies have quickly moved on to denial.