Part 8

Part 8

“Welcome to Freddi’s!” I greeted as the doorbell tinkled, looking up from the cup that I was cleaning with the cloth in my hand. It has been a month since dropping into Limbo, and I was adapting fairly well. By fairly well, I mean I don’t have panic attacks about going home anymore, and I was pretty much comfortable with my new life. Perhaps the only bad thing that hadn’t solved itself was the fact that Vergil still seemed to treat me like his worst enemy.

That; and the fact that I was getting nowhere with my angel-given mission. Since I’ve been given my mission, I had not seen a single feather of Azazel’s impressive wings, nor heard any advice from him. So much for promising to help me out –that bastard obviously wasn’t going to do anything for my sake.

“Now that’s a dress I like to see you in. The usual.” Dante ordered, grinning lazily as he did so. There was a perverted twinkle in his eyes and I could imagine him mind-stripping me. It happened quite obviously when he was around me, or hot girls, and while I was flattered that he was thinking of me in such a way, I had seen that twinkle so many times that it was starting to get insulting.

“Can you turn your thoughts somewhere else?” I frowned as I pulled the front of the low-cut dress up self-consciously, making sure the top of it at least covered the top of my bra. It didn’t change the fact that the dress that I’d been given was smaller than my size, and there were no extras of my size. It ended up with my boobs being squished and pushed up, wide on display of dirty-minded men like Dante.

“If you want my thoughts to go down another route, you might find yourself in the back room, and me licking off sundae off your boobs. So be glad I’m just thinking of simply stripping you now.” Dante replied boldly as he placed his butt on the counter in front of me while I purposefully ignored his watchful gaze to get his strawberry sundae.

“More of that, and I’m going to get Freddi banning you from entering.” I reminded as I added the final strawberry on the top, then slid the cup over the counter to him along with the spoon.

“He wouldn’t do that. He wouldn’t want to lose his biggest customer.” Dante replied with the spoon half in his mouth while I returned to my cleaning.

“His biggest non-paying customer.” I corrected, but the man in topic made a non-committal grunt and continued through his diabetes-causing dessert. I didn’t really understand what was so addictive of a strawberry sundae, but it was obvious that Dante wasn’t about to change his habit anytime soon. I wondered briefly if he was still going to continue on this sugary diet when he got older, before I realized I couldn’t imagine him in an older version.

Dante was silent in the more-or-less empty diner, and I returned my attention to cleaning the cups and wiping away some of the dust that had gotten on the shelves. I had gotten this job two weeks earlier when I found that I had nothing to do when Trish went demon-hunting. Sticking around Devil May Cry wasn’t going to pay my rent to Trish, nor pay for my daily expenses and I couldn’t rely on my idol-turned-best-friend, so I ended up finding a job down at Freddi’s.

The man himself was kind enough to offer the job to me despite the fact that I had no papers to prove my existence in this world. It didn’t help that I belonged in another world –and that wasn’t really something I could tell the man.

“Either you’re on a job, or you’re running away from Lady. I’m guessing the latter, but tell me.” I leaned boredly against the counter as I finished my clean-up to find Dante almost done. He had Rebellion strapped to his back, and that meant that he was either pretending to work to fool Lady, or was actually forced by the woman in question to work.

“I’m running from that tight-fisted bitch. Grabbed Rebellion right off the stand and ran as fast as my legs could carry me. That crazy bitch’s really good at using that rocket launcher.” Dante grumbled as he stabbed his remaining sundae with the spoon as if it could help him relieve his unrest.