XIII

Annika POV

I woke to the smell of something burning. Once my eyes were open I scanned my surroundings. Alyss and Anna were passed out next to me. The three of us were perched up in a queen size bed. There was a small bookshelf in the corner with a few books by Shakespeare and multiple classics, there were also science and history books stacked high on a desk. The room was painted a mild green tone. The bed in which each of us had seemed to be sleeping soundly in also had neutral tone blankets, sheets, and pillows.

The room looked oddly familiar. I couldn't put my finger on it as my vision was blurry. My scream rang through the room as a sudden pounding headache seemed to slice through the center of my brain. The shrilling buzz that rang through my ears caught the attention of whomever was sitting outside. My sisters also began to stir as the same process happened to them. The door cracked open and to my surprise and disappointment the man on the other side of the handle was none other than Mycroft Holmes, our uncle who literally is the British government. His umbrella was held like a cane in his left hand occasionally swinging it in a loop and he made his way to stand before us.

"I'm glad you three are awake and unharmed," He smiled. "Yes, so now you see the dangers of your father's work. I would advise you to get a new hobby and to pack your things."

"I already told you we weren't going to leave," I stated harshly. "Especially now now that..." I trailed off knowing that no one could know he was back.

"Now that what?" Mycroft said leaning in intrigued.

"Now that our mother is dead," Alyss said saving my tail. She does that often does she not?

"Yes, yes," He smiled again. "That was a shame so young."

The four of us stood in silence studying each others movements. I shifted uneasily not wanting to let my face or movement give anything away to what had went on the previous night. With my head still spinning from the sudden pain it was hard to think straight.

The room we were in, it was familiar. I finally could place my finger where I had seen it. It was none other than Sherlock's bedroom. It was a place the three of us had seldom seen. When we would stay over it was usually at a new flat each time. Here in 221B Baker Street was different. The landlady, Mrs. Hudson, didn't mind Sherlock's experiments that were usually disturbing or disgusting to the average human eye. She didn't mind his occasional drug addiction when there was no case and things around London seemed more boring than a usual week here in England. She didn't mind his silence on end or the loud start on others. It was strange. But then again what wasn't?

"Why are you here anyways?" Anna said. "Where is Sherlock, and who gave you the right to come here?"

"My dear young Anna. So much you don't understand about life," Mycroft chuckled. "I've come to take you to a foster home, Sherlock doesn't know, in fact he didn't even care on your disappearance last night. As for my right I think you know my place."

There was that burning smell again. No fire. Was I the only one smelling it? No. Mycroft lifted his nose slightly and inhaled. I saw his eyes switch priorities as he left the room urgently. Anna's eyes flashed eagerly. I recognized the sweet burning scent. Chlorine. Burning chloride. Of course. Sherlock! He must've left something on.

I was the first one to the door to see whatever experiment exploding into our uncle's face. All three of us struggled holding back laughter. The black soot covered his face. The door clicked open in the background. Knowing it wasn't Sherlock I didn't bother to say anything. Instead John came through the doorway.

His eyes widened. I didn't stay in the room long enough to get his lecture face to face. Neither did my sisters. "Don't turn your back," He had shouted. Rolling my eyes I ignored the Doctor's shouts. "You three come back here," He hollered. Give it a rest John. I growled inwardly. "He's been worried sick. Where we're you?" Last chance to turn around and explain. Should we? Alyss shook her head. Better make an escape.

Back into Sherlock's room John's footsteps were following ours. Ashcroft had left in a hurry after failing at wiping off the black ash cloud covering his face. I jumped out the window my sisters followed. There was nothing to explain. Nothing we could explain. Better to run off with our explanatory explanations than to revel this to John, to Sherlock, or to Mycroft. We couldn't share any of this with anyone. It's our secret. It's now our fight. Our game.

It seems as our father puts it, that the game is on!

A/N:

So they are gonna get a few cases before they meet James again. Bear with me.

~SpottyGeek