Prologue

*TRIGGER WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATURE THEMES INCLUDING SEXUAL CONTENT, DEPRESSION, AND SELF HARM*

~ ⛅ ~

"Are you going to the party tonight?" Lily asks while I have her on speakerphone in my bedroom.

Lily has been my best friend since I was a baby, always there for me no matter what life threw our way; from stuffed animals to first kisses to now, talking on the phone about a party that included alcohol and scandalous behavior.

"I was thinking about it. Why? Are we still avoiding Aiden?" I question.

Aiden was Lily's on and off boyfriend who was off more times than on. In retrospect it was clear that he was only with her for what she gave him but as her best friend I supported her choices as blindly as I could manage.

"Do not bring him up to me" she snaps. "God he is such a dick."

I roll my eyes. This sentiment would only last until she saw him tonight and he apologized then the cycle would repeat all over again next week.

"Agreed" I reply honestly as I rip the tags off a dress that I bought last weekend when Lily and I went shopping. I didn't have many other friends, it was just Lily and occasionally Aiden. I had a hard time trusting people but Lily has been my best friend since birth and I knew that she'd be by my side until the day I die.

"But still" I add. "Don't you think we should go to the party and at least show the idiot what he's missing?"

"Ems" she begins and I can practically hear her smug expression through the line. "Is this really about me and Aiden or are you looking for an excuse to see that hottie that's visiting for the summer?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about" I insist, shaking my head despite the blush rising on my cheeks.

It was the first week of summer and it was Friday night. Unfortunately we all started work at the local summer camp on Monday morning so we only had this weekend to fool around and be stupid but luckily a hot new guy just moved into town for the summer and I was determined to get him into bed by the end of the summer.

"Yea right" she replies, allowing me to practically hear her eyes rolling. "What number would he even be?" she asks. "I lost count."

"You exaggerate" I roll my eyes. "And I have never had sex" I exclaim. "You know I'm not a slut."

"No of course not" she says playfully and again I can practically hear her eye roll through the phone. "But you and I both know that you're looking for the right boy to finally swipe your v card."

I sigh, taking my phone off speaker and pressing it to my ear. She was right of course. Ever since she lost it to Aiden and the rest of my friends lost it last summer I felt like I was falling behind. The summer hottie was perfect.

"Whatever" I wave off. "Are we on for tonight or not?"

"I suppose" she shrugs. "You think you'll be able to get out?"

"Don't worry. I'll be there. See you later Lil."

"Later babe" she replies before we hang up.

I quickly change into a pair of short shorts and a pink crop top before tossing my hair into voluminous beach waves. I apply a decent amount of makeup before finally slipping into a pair of flip flops and heading down the stairs.

"Woah, woah" my dad stops me as soon as he sees me. "Where do you think you're going dressed like that?" he demands.

"Out with Lily" I shrug. "Don't worry. I'll be home before curfew."