16. Deja-Vu

A/N: The second half of this chapter gets a little steamy...

The next morning I feel like I've gone back in time. I feel as if the last couple weeks were just a figment of my imagination and my heart hurts. I pick up my phone and look for a text from Dylan but I don't have one. It seemed he really wasn't going to tell his mom about us which meant that for now, our relationship was on hold. I couldn't keep moving things along with him until I knew his mother wouldn't force us apart because I know that if I let myself fall in love with him that my heart won't survive that break.

I climb out of bed and head towards my closet to find something to wear today. Nothing in my wardrobe looks good but I know I can't go naked so I slip into a pair of jean shorts and a light pink tank top. I throw my hair into a ponytail and head into my bathroom to brush my teeth before heading downstairs where the room is silent and empty. My eyebrows furrow as I make my way over to the fridge and find a note from my parents telling me that the twins had their physicals this morning and that I should help myself to anything I want.

My head begins to spin and I feel as if I really did just go back in time. No Dylan, no parents greeting me downstairs, no banter with my siblings...it was as if nothing has changed. My chest feels tight and I can't catch my breath as I clutch the countertop and I fall to the ground, panicking.

My head feels fuzzy and the world around me begins to fade away until I feel someone's hands on my shoulders. "Emma" the voice says sternly. "Ems look at me" the voice begs, their hands coming to grasp my cheeks. "Emmy" he repeats and I focus on the voice...the voice I've come to know better than my own.

I open my eyes and see Dylan staring back at me and as I look into his emerald green eyes my breathing begins to slow. The past couple weeks were real. My parents were just busy this morning and Dylan and I were just fighting but he was here. Why the hell was he here? How was he here? "How did you get in?" I ask once I can talk.

"The door was unlocked" he says, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. I realize my parents must've forgot to lock the door when they left, something they did often since they admittedly had their hands full with my siblings. Sometimes it shocked me that they never forgot one of us. "I rang the doorbell but you didn't answer. What happened?" he asks concerned.

"I-it felt like I was back to a couple weeks ago. I couldn't talk to you, my parents weren't home-."

"You can always talk to me. Even if you're pissed at me" he adds and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not pissed at you Dyl. I just can't become this attached to you when your crazy ass mother could take you away from me. You just put me back together from the last guy who left me, I don't think I'll recover this time" I admit and he sighs as he takes a seat beside me.

"She knows I'm seeing someone. I told her I have a girlfriend but she doesn't know it's you. Emma, she hates you" he admits softly. "She blames you for everything she doesn't have. I know she isn't going to accept us and that's why I haven't told her because I know you're right" he says, looking towards me sadly. "And I don't want to give her the chance to ruin us."

"So what, we stay a secret forever?" I ask confusedly. "I want a future someday and it's going to be a little hard to get married and start a family while keeping it from the woman who gave birth to you" I argue and he nods.

"That's why I just want to keep us a secret until I'm eighteen. Then, she doesn't get a fucking say" he explains. "I can't lose you Em and I know you feel the same way. I'm just asking, no begging, that you let me keep this a secret from her. She will never understand why or how I feel the way I feel about you."