35. Broken Promises

*Trigger Warning: Self-Harm*

Dylan's POV

Life is a roller coaster, one minute you're up and the next your down and that's the only way I can describe today as I sit on the bathroom floor, praying for the pain to end.

*************************************************************************************

That morning...

"Your phone won't stop buzzing" Emma complains, walking into the bathroom where I'm busy brushing my teeth. She was already dressed for the day, wearing a pair of white shorts and a tie-dyed shirt that exposed just a bit more of her chest than any man in her life would prefer. But she looked flawless nonetheless with her blonde hair tied up in a high ponytail and the hint of a smile on her face.

She'd been that way since the meeting with my cousin, carefree and happier than I'd seen her since the day we met. I take my phone from her after I spit out the toothpaste and water into the sink, looking at the screen and finding a text from my cousin. "We're invited to my family reunion next weekend. Apparently she forgot to invite us last night" I explain, glancing up at Emma to gage her reaction and of course, she looks ecstatic at the thought of spending the whole day with my family.

"Well, we're going to go...right?" she asks, practically bouncing on her heels but before I can answer her question her little sister appears in the doorway of the bathroom with an expectant look on her face.

"Where are we going?" Emery asks, raising an eyebrow at her older sister and Emma groans. Ever since her mom found out that we were sleeping together it had been like this; one or more of her family members randomly appearing as if we'd go at it with the door open.

"We aren't going anywhere" Emma explains, rolling her eyes as she brushes past her little sister. "Where's mom?" She walks out of her room, leaving me behind with her sister who eyes me for a moment before opening her mouth once more.

"She may act like she hates me" she says flippantly, "but she's my sister and I know she cares." I nod in agreement. Emma just wasn't the type to show affection, at least in every relationship outside of our own. She had walls and they were expertly built to make sure that no one saw how broken she was. "I just need you to promise me that you won't hurt her. She loves you. She trusts you." She laughs, a soft, sad laugh. "Hell, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who knows her wholly and completely and if she lost you-."

"Emery" I cut her off, unsure as to where all of this has come from. "I don't know what you're talking about-."

"Yes you do" she interjects, her eyes flickering down to the scars on my wrist. I swallow harshly, remembering how low I had felt when I did what I did. But this time was different because I hadn't needed anything to help me cope, I only needed Emma. She helped me through and I would never harm myself again knowing that it could in turn end up hurting her. "Promise me you won't hurt my sister."

I step towards Emery and pull her in for a hug. "I promise."

"Woah. Did I miss something?" Emma asks a few seconds later when she walks into the room. Me and Emery step apart, the younger girl sniffling as she looks towards her sister.

"We were just talking. I'll see you later sis." And then she's gone, leaving me with my girlfriend who's staring at me in pure confusion.

"What the heck was that?" she asks, furrowing her eyebrows as she walks towards me.

I smile, grabbing her waist and pulling her into my arms. "That was your little sister worrying about something that will never happen" I assure her, leaning down to peck her lips. "Now, where did we land on the family reunion idea?"