7. First Date

"You're home late" my dad comments as I walk into the house with my shoes in one hand. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth as I shut the door and turn the deadbolt before making my way into the living room where he's sitting in the recliner watching a movie.

"Sorry" I apologize. "I know I had a curfew but we were swimming and I lost track of time since I wasn't exactly wearing a watch" I add honestly. "I'm really, really sorry. I know that I'm supposed to be instilling trust but-."

"Emma relax" he says softly. "I'm not upset. I'm just glad you're home. How was your night?" he asks as I take a seat on the arm of the couch.

My lips quirk into a smile while I play with my hands in my lap. "It was incredible."

"Oh?" he questions.

"He uh he asked me to be his girlfriend" I admit making his eyes go wide as a giggle falls from my lips. "I know I said we were going to go slow and I mean physically I think that's a good idea but I don't see why I can't officially date him and steal the occasional kiss" I explain.

He sighs, leaning back in his seat and running his fingers through his hair. "This isn't about Kyle being back is it?" he asks making my lips part in shock.

"I-uh-what-what are you talking about?" I stutter, thrown off by the simple mention of his name.

"Emma I know he's the boy. You did believe he was your boyfriend and you did bring him around here" he points out. "I ran into his father this afternoon while I was out running some errands. He told me they moved back. He also said that Kyle was going to try and talk to you tonight. Did he?"

Tears well in my eyes and I fight to keep them at bay as I nod my head. "What did he say to you?" he asks, sitting up and placing his hand on my knee.

"Nothing I didn't already know" I whisper, wiping furiously at my eyes. "He pretended he actually missed me" I laugh. "All he missed is what I gave him" I snip angrily.

"Emmy I'm so sorry" he says lovingly. "Come here" he insists and I waste no time in climbing into my father's embrace and letting him hug me while I cry. It feels so good to be open with my parents, to let them help me through these things. It was an incredible feeling, knowing that you're not alone.

"I hate him" I sob, "and I hate that he let me touch him when he knew I had never done anything before. He may not have taken my virginity but he took a whole hell of a lot of my firsts."

"I know kiddo" he replies softly, kissing the top of my head. "It's okay" he soothes as my sobs start to calm. I compose myself but I make no move to leave my father's loving embrace.

"I'm falling in love with Dylan" I admit softly. "And I'm scared that it's going to end like things with Kyle."

"Emma" my dad snickers. "Baby girl that boy was a horrible person who only wanted to see you hurt, it seems Dylan truly wants what's best for you and if that's true than I assure you, he won't break your heart" he says making my heart flutter.

"I hope you're right" I sigh, backing away from him and wiping at my cheek. "Gosh I'm a mess."

"Why don't you go get cleaned up and get some sleep? You smell like lake water" he adds making me chuckle as I stand up.

"You really know how to flatter a girl" I tease. "Goodnight daddy and thanks for the talk."

"Anytime Em" he replies sweetly. "Goodnight" he adds before I turn on my heels and walk out of the room.

*************************************************************************************

I wake up the next morning to the sound of my phone buzzing insistently on my nightstand. Since I was out past curfew and I still had to take a shower and relax a bit before I could finally fall asleep I was more than tired. I groan, reaching over and bringing the phone to my ear without bothering to see who it was. "Hello?"