20. Throwing Words and Punches

The next morning I almost forget that my boyfriend is under the same roof as me until I reach the foot of the steps and see the strewn blankets on the couch. I turn the corner and find him sitting at the counter with a glass of water in front of him. He slides the glass back and forth absentmindedly, his eyebrows furrowed and his forehead creased as he thinks. "Good morning babe" I greet him. His face immediately relaxes as his eyes find mine. 

"Good morning beautiful" he replies sweetly, taking a gulp of his water. I giggle, leaning across the counter.

"May I ask what you're doing?" I inquire, pointing to his glass. Water was more of a bedtime drink for me which I knew was dumb seeing as though it's the one thing you're supposed to drink like a bazillion times a day but I just wasn't a big fan. 

"I was thirsty" he clarifies making me chuckle. 

"Uh huh. You could've had some juice or made coffee" i suggest, pushing off the marble countertop and turning to grab the handle of the fridge. I scour the shelves until I find apple juice and pull out the carton. "Want some?" I offer. 

He shakes his head. "I'm fine sweetheart." I furrow my eyebrows at him, planting my hands on the counter. 

"You realize you can help yourself to anything in this house right?" I ask. My boyfriend casts his eyes down towards the floor and I sigh. "Dylan you're staying here. Anything you want or need is right here at your fingertips. If you want juice or want to make coffee then go ahead. No one will get upset."

"We may actually thank you" my mom interjects as she walks into the room and heads straight for the coffee pot. 

"Long night?" I ask, filling a glass with my juice. My mom sighs, leaning back against the counter. 

"Your brother" she explains simply and I nod in understanding. My little brother just wasn't into sleeping. I didn't understand why but then again I suppose when you're a baby you don't have any worries plaguing you that you need to escape. "Are you off today?" she asks, asking around her real question. 

"No" I reply honestly. "Just pokey." Dylan laughs causing me to look back at him. He thinks he got off the hook. "What do you like to eat other than pop-tarts?" I ask pointedly. He looks back towards me and sighs. 

"Anything."

"Mm, so you like vegan pancakes with dark chocolate chips?" 

"Um" he stutters. "Sure" he agrees making me roll my eyes. He was being a stubborn idiot this morning. 

"Mom can you give us a sec?" I ask, looking at my boyfriend. 

"Absolutely. Don't get blood on the floor. That'll never come out" she teases, kissing the top of my head before walking out of the room. 

"Dyl-."

"I don't think I should be staying here. It's not right. If my mom finds out-." My lips press into a firm line as his words hit harder and harder. 

"What's worse? Staying under my roof or screwing me?" I snip. His eyes widen in shock but I don't bother to stay around to her his response. "Eat whatever you want. I'm leaving in ten" I say over my shoulder as I walk out of the room and head up towards my bedroom. 

I slam my door shut and walk past my vanity but unlike the past few weeks today the voice is back. I feel a magnetic pull towards my makeup and I can't stop myself from taking a seat and reaching for my foundation. Within three minutes I'm fully made up and heading to my closet to find something to wear. 

"Ems" Dylan's voice echoes into my room from outside my door. "Please let me in" he pleads. "I wanna talk."

I abandon my closet and walk over to my door, throwing it open and I pinpoint the exact moment he realizes I have my guard back up. "Baby" he begins but I shake my head, walking back into my room. "Emma, I'm sorry" he apologizes, closing my door behind us. "It's just weird for me and I feel like I'm overstepping-."