30. Babysitting Struggles

Today was the day. Meeting day. Not that it really mattered since me and Dylan had to stay home. We were on baby-sitting duty while they went out and figured out what was going to happen to my boyfriend. "We're too old to be babysat" Emery complains while my parents are rushing around making sure they have everything. 

"They aren't necessarily babysitting you and your brother" my dad argues, popping dinner in the oven. My mom had prepped a meatloaf for all of us to share like the real supermom that she was. "But Noah needs someone to watch him and this is the only way we know that the two of you won't follow us" he says pointedly, staring at me and my boyfriend. He wasn't wrong. If it were up to me we'd be following right after them despite everyone trying to convince me that this was what was best for everyone. 

"Try to enjoy your night and remember, we want this to work out just as much as you do" my mom says, kissing the top of my head. "Be good" she whispers and I roll my eyes. I knew what she meant but honestly, there were only so many promises I could make and I had already promised not to follow them so, staying out of trouble completely might not be in the cards tonight. 

"Bye" dad waves, following mom out the door and Emery groans as the door shuts. 

"I'm going to my room" she exclaims, stomping down the hall and Dylan laughs beside me as we watch her go. 

"She' s certainly getting a little attitude" he comments and I nod in agreement. My little sister was quite the drama queen but then again all of us Matthews' women were. It was like it was ingrained in our DNA. 

"Can I go play video games?" Caden asks hopefully and I nod, waving him off. Noah was down for his nap right now so he probably wouldn't be up until dinner was done which left me and Dylan basically alone. 

"Wanna go shoot some hoops?" he asks, motioning to the basketball hoop outside. I had never played before and it honestly wasn't my first choice of activities but then again, the kids were still awake and in the least it would get my mind off what was going on at the meeting. So, I nod my head and follow him outside. "Ever play Horse?" he asks and I nod my head. It was a staple in middle school recess. "Good. You go first."

I stand a couple feet away from the basket and shoot the ball and it makes a satisfying swoosh noise as it goes in causing a proud smile to tug at my lips. Dylan laughs as I bounce the ball towards him. "Good shot but don't get cocky."

I shake my head. "I would never. That's your area of expertise" I tease as he shoots the ball and it too makes it into the basket. I roll my eyes, taking the ball from his hands. 

I back up a few more feet and shoot the ball again only this time I miss. I frown. "Dammit."

"Better luck next time" he taunts, grabbing the ball from the ground and standing beside me. He looks towards me and smirks, shooting the ball without even looking and it goes in. My jaw drops. 

"What the hell?" 

He laughs. "I may or may not have played on the team before everything in my life went to hell" he says and my eyes widen. I would've never pegged my boyfriend as a basketball player but now that I knew he played I couldn't stop thinking about it. It made sense. He was tall, certainly athletic and he had been out here for weeks dribbling and shooting hoops mindlessly. I couldn't believe I had never put it all together before now. 

"Did you have any cheerleaders besides the bitchy ex?" I ask curiously, taking the ball from him and clutching it to my chest. 

He shakes his head. "Nah. Though, maybe if I get to go to school with you, you could be my cheerleader. I would die if I saw you in one of those skirts" he adds and I laugh, rolling my eyes as I lean up to kiss him.