Chapter Seventeen

Both Hank's group and Nick's group hadn't found any Ghost Plants. They made their way back to their cars, hoping that one of the other groups had been successful. Nick's group arrived at the parking lot first. They noticed they had been hiking for three hours and turned around after that, but the trip back to the cars was much easier than when they had to walk slowly and keep their eyes trained on the ground. Hank and Farris also trudged their way out of the forest after three hours, but they were slower than the Grimms and Wu.

Nick was leaning against his tan Land Cruiser with Trubel and Wu when he saw Hank and Farris walking down the road towards them. They later told Nick and the others that, when they exited the forest, they were about a mile away from the lot; they had to follow the road for a while to get back to the cars.

"Did you find anything?" Nick asked, concerned.

"No, you?" Hank asked.

Nick shook his head.

"Maybe Monroe and Rosalee found something," Trubel offered optimistically.

Nick looked uneasy. "I hope so. If they didn't, we'll have to figure something else out."

The two groups found a log to sit on where they described their hiking adventures to pass time. After a while, Nick started to wonder if they should go looking for Monroe and Rosalee.

"They should be here by now," Nick said. He pulled out his phone and checked the time. "It's been more than six hours."

"Can they get lost?" Farris asked. She was curious if people like Monroe and Rosalee had some sort of sixth sense that helped them orient themselves in the forest or if they could use their heightened sense of smell to sniff their way out.

"I think it would be unlikely," Nick said. "That's why I'm worried one of them got hurt or something." Nick looked at his phone and noticed that he had no bars. There was no way that calling Monroe and Rosalee would help when neither one of them were likely to get any kind of reception.

"There aren't any Hexenbiest kidnappers here, are there?" Wu asked.

"Hope not," Trubel said. "But, just a few minutes ago, there were Grimms, humans, a Neander-Wu, a Blutbad, and a Fuchsbau in the woods, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were other things, too."

Everyone looked at Trubel as if to say, "You're not helping."

"Just saying," she tacked on, shrugging.

Trubel had given everyone the creeps. They all started thinking about the creepy creatures that could be wandering around in the forest. Farris would have been more worried about the world's monsters if she had seen what the others had; even her imagination wasn't as horrific as reality. While Farris worried about werewolves and vampires, Hank and the others worried about the very real Kinoshimobe, Wendigos, Geiers, and Schakals.

Suddenly, they heard rustling coming up from behind them. Nick stood quickly and put his hand on his gun, preparing to rip it out from the holster. Hank, Farris, and Wu also turned around, but they backed away from the noise. Trubel pulled a knife out of out of her boot and stood next to Nick.

The greenery concealing the inner forest shook until it revealed Monroe and Rosalee emerging from the woods. They had come back the exact way that they had come, confirming Farris's sense of smell theory.

Monroe was panting. "I'm getting too old for this," he said as he stepped out of the forest, holding his wife's hand. He and Rosalee both looked up to see concerned faces. "Uh, hey, guys," Monroe greeted, nervously. There was a group sigh of relief as everyone realized Monroe and Rosalee were safe, and monsters weren't coming out of the forest to eat them all.