Chapter One: The Anniversary

TW: Panic attack.

You never realise just how much you love something until it's taken away.

Exactly one year ago, Evan Hansen's boyfriend, Connor Murphy had gone missing after the bombing of a hotel.

He was presumed dead, but Evan wasn't going to believe that just yet. He needed to find him and see for himself.

Even if it would permanently break his heart.

Evan sat on a plane to California. He was attending the one year anniversary of the bombing.

He hated planes, but he loved Connor with all of his heart.

What hurt him the most was that he never got to tell him that.

Evan longed for one more kiss, one more hug, one more word.

He longed for the things he would probably never get again.

The lady in the seat next to him was very chatty and wouldn't shut up, but Evan was ignoring her, instead thinking of Connor.

His shoulder length, wavy brown hair, his brown eyes with specks of blue, his sarcastic, yet genuine smile.

Evan felt himself beginning to tear up.

He needed someone right now. Jared, Alana, Zoe, Isabel, Heidi, Paul, Jeremy. Someone.

But he realised that the person he wanted was Connor.

And none of them were here.

Jared, Alana, Isabel and Jeremy were in college and couldn't come, Zoe was just about to graduate, and Heidi felt as though flying whilst being eight months pregnant wasn't a good idea, so Paul was staying with her.

Evan looked out the window and saw the airport coming up; they were about to land.

Good. He really couldn't take any more of the lady's rambling.

Evan took a deep breath, preparing himself to face the hotel.

***

"Today marks one year since the hotel before us was bombed," the lady in charge of the memorial said. "In the end, fifteen were unfortunately pronounced dead. We shall always keep them in our hearts." She took a deep breath, pausing for a second. "We hope that wherever Harry Tyler and Connor Murphy are, they are alive and safe, and will be found soon."

Tears began to stream down Evan's face.

"Our condolences go to the families and friends of the victims. May they be safe during this hard time."

Evan thought about Cynthia and Larry. They didn't seem too affected by the news.

Cynthia briefly cried, and Larry didn't seem to care.

Zoe had been a mess. She refused to believe the possibility that her brother could be gone.

And so did Evan.

"We wish you all a safe night. Thank-you all for coming," the lady concluded.

Evan sat for a few minutes, as did a few other people.

He thought about where Connor could be.

Was he dead, or was he alive?

Was he safe, or was he hurt?

Would they ever see each other again?