Forever and Always - Part 2

As we head to the finger pricking station, Cato grabs Bears hand and leads him over to where the boys get pricked. I know that my name is in the bowl more than the average person. My Aunt has been sick so I had to get medicine for her, costing my name being put in the bowl an extra time. After I put my bloody finger print on the sign-in sheet, I make my way to the other girls standing in front of the stage. I'm not scared, but I am scared for Bear.

"Hello District 2!" There stands the usual woman who picks the names of the tributes, she wears a brightly colored dress and a purple wig to match, ridiculous as always. I glance over the aisles to find Cato, he stands there grinning because he's never liked the Capitol fashion trends. I try to search for Bear while the regular video plays but he is so small that I can't see him.

"Okay! Wasn't that wonderful!" The woman exclaims quite excitedly, as if she hasn't seen the video every year.

"Now, as you know, the girls always go first. May the odds be ever in your favor." She tip-toes her way over to one of the two glass bowls on the stage and carefully selects a name. She makes her way back to center stage and folds it open.

"Clove Kentwell."

My heart stops. I'm going to die, I'm not prepared for this. As I weave my way through the rather relieved crowd and onto the stage, my eyes find Cato's. He looks as if his heart has stopped with mine.

"Now, for the Gentlemen!" The women standing beside me then makes her way to the second bowl and repeats the same process.

"Bear Kentwell."

No, this can't be happening, not the both of us, this is the first year he's been in the bowl, how can the odds be this much against us? I know what this means though, and it's not good. Just as I thought things couldn't get worse, I hear the words I've been dreading.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Cato shouts.