Forever and Always - Part 12

Clove's P.O.V

Why would they just leave me? I use a crate to climb onto the top of the cornucopia, it's dark out and I feel safer up here. I don't want to be cornered in the cornucopia if someone came.
I didn't scream for Cato because I figured if I did that someone might hear me, but obviously someone else didn't have that worry.

"Clove!" I hear very faintly from the distance, then again, "Clove!"

"Cato?" I whisper under my breath before screaming, "Cato! I'm at the cornucopia!" I yell, my fear of being heard vanishes, I just want him back. I slide to the edge and slip down the side of the cornucopia. Suddenly, a large man shoves me against the metal, cutting off my oxygen with his hands on my throat. Thresh.

"Clove!" I hear Cato shout in the distance. I should have gone for my knives, but the sudden blockage of my airway has me distracted. I try prying his hands off of my throat but with every second I grow weaker and weaker. Thresh's sweaty face is in mine, staring me down.

"I'm sorry for this, but I need to go home." He whispers and squeezes my throat tighter. I can see the guilt in his eyes, his eyes don't say 'murderer,' though he looks quite menacing. I'm kicking and scratching at his face but he is unfazed, I am small prey underneath his predator fangs. My vision starts to blacken, growing more intense with every second. This is it? This is how I die?

Like a flash of lightning, Thresh's neck is snapped from behind and he falls to the ground, lifeless. I fall to my knees, trying to comprehend what is happening. I feel two familiar arms wrap around my back and hold me. Voices are echoing in my ears but I can't make out who they are.

"Clove? Clove? Are you there?" I hear as each word echos around my head. My vision begins to come back and I see those ocean blue eyes staring down at me.

"Cato?" I croak, my throat feels hoarse.

"Clove, I'm so sorry, I thought you were ahead of me." Cato chokes as I feel a wet tear hit my cheek and I begin to regain touch with reality.

"I went to the bathroom, I didn't know you left." I tell him, panting for air.

"Oh no, we almost didn't make it." I hear Glimmer say in a sarcastic tone.

"Shut your mouth, go make us a place to sleep in the cornucopia." Cato snaps, sending her a cold glare.

"Yeah, yeah, okay." She huffs and stomps inside.

"I'll never leave your side again, I promise." He whispers as the cannons go off. 17.