Forever and Always - Part 17

"Clove, run!" Cato screams as the mutt attacks him. Instead of obeying him, I grab a few knives from my sheath and begin throwing them at the mutt. It hardly phases it, the knives remain stuck in it's skin as it bites the air while Cato struggles to push it off of him. After all of my knives run out, the mutt leaps off of him and sprints towards me. Of course this would happen. I had no other choice but to run, so I ran as fast as my legs would carry me.

Glimmer pulls back her bow and shoots an arrow towards it as Marvel throws his spear, both missing because of how incredibly fast the mutt was going. All of a sudden I feel it's claws dig into my back, I fall to the ground and it begins biting all over my body.

Cato's P.O.V

"Clove!" I scream as I scramble to my feet. I grab my sword off of the ground and bolt towards the mutt on top of Clove. I take it from behind and stab my sword straight through its back and out of the front. It lets out an ear piercing shriek and falls lifeless to the ground beside Clove. Her body is bloody and her clothes are ripped up. I kneel beside her, she's struggling to stay conscious.

"Clove . . . ? Clove! Stay with me! I need you." I pick her up gently and hold her.

"You're going to be okay," I assure her, the shakiness in my voice clearly saying otherwise. "Guys, I need help!" I yell towards Glimmer and Marvel. I look back at Clove and her eyes are starting to roll back. "Clove, no, stay with me, keep your eyes open," my voice cracks and the tears start breaking through. "No, not you!" I yell. I can't lose her.

Glimmer knelt down and checked her pulse. "Her heart is still beating, but very slowly. She's . . . going, from blood loss." She looks at me, empathy in her eyes.

"Marvel?" I ask, looking up at him, waiting for him to say something. He looks at the ground and reaches for Glimmer's hand. He helps her up to her feet and they both stare down at me.

"You're going home, Cato." She whispers and they begin walking into the woods, hand in hand.

"Marvel!" I scream as I hold Clove's tiny body.

"It's gonna be okay, you're gonna be okay." I sobbed quietly to Clove. I laid her down gently and laid beside her, holding her carefully. And before he knew it, he was asleep.

When I woke up, it was still dark. I check my surroundings quickly and my eyes land on Clove beside me, everything that happened comes flooding back to me.

"Clove?" I whispered as I checked her pulse. It was still beating, but then it suddenly stopped.