Forever and Always - Part 19

Clove's P.O.V

My strength is slowly coming back but my body is in so much pain from the wounds all over my body. I see Glimmer to my left and Cato is to my right, where's Marvel?

"Marvel?" I say. Cato and Glimmer give me a sad look.

"He gave up his life to save yours." Glimmer says, tears are in her eyes but she still puts on a sympathetic smile. She's in pain.

"I-I'm sorry." I stutter out and slowly sit myself up with Cato's help.

"It's okay. He wanted to do it," She sighs and pulls out some dark colored berries from her pocket, I immediately recognize it as deadly nightlock. "Like he always said, together or not all!" She announces with tears falling down her face as she shoves some berries into her mouth.

"Glimmer, no!" Cato yelled and lunged toward her, but it was too late. She had already swallowed them. Cato runs to her aid and catches her as she begins to fall down, dying.

"You made District 1 proud, may we meet again." Cato whispers as the light escapes her eyes. He gently lays her down and we both stare at her body in mourning. I always hated her but she really surprised me in the games. From enemy, to ally, to friend.

"They both wanted to be together, now they always will." I say.

"It wasn't supposed to end like this." Cato sighs.

"Maybe it doesn't have to. We don't have to give the Capitol what they want." I say. Cato looks at me in confusion. I pick up the extra berries that Glimmer dropped and hold them in my hand. Cato looks at them and his expression saddens.

"I'm done giving them what they want." He whispers so quiet that I don't even think the hundreds of cameras and microphones planted in the arena could hear. We both nod and lift the berries to our mouths.

"Together or not at all." I quote Glimmer's final words.

"Wait! Stop!" An intercom voice booms around the arena. Cato and I drop our hands and look around the sky as if trying to find where the voice is coming from.

"Uh-m, Ehem. We have our 74th Annual Hunger Games Victors! Cato Hadley & Clove Kentwell from District 2!"

I look at Cato in disbelief. There's no way. We made it. We quickly enter a tight embrace followed by a passionate kiss on the lips. Nobody could take away the feeling of victory I have right now. Nobody. We won.